The program is divided into two parts:
A two-week summer bridge program and a customized fall semester. Students will also have tuition and fees covered through our Privateer Pledge! Working together, these components will give students the tools they need to Start Smart @ UNO.
Phase 1 > Summer Bridge Program
Prior to the beginning of the Fall semester, this two-week program gets students ready for college. Students will have access to both Math and English workshops and meet key faculty and staff who are available to offer support. Importantly, students will have the opportunity to build mentoring relationships!
Students will learn:
- Exam/test skills, time management, study skills, strategic reading, and note-taking
- Math and English prep for placement exam
- Information on on-campus housing and dining options
- How college and high school differ
- The role of motivation, beliefs, and goals in learning
After students complete the Summer Bridge program and they have enrolled in the Fall semester, they will receive a $1,500 stipend!
Phase 2 > Customized Fall Semester
The fall semester will be divided into two 8-week sessions to give students a more focused experience. Start Smart @ UNO students will take the same Math, English and first-year success classes with the same group of students, allowing them time to connect with each other, form study groups and support one another during the semester. Students will also be required to complete a number of study hours in the University Success Center.
This focused approach allows each student to complete all general education Math and English requirements by the end of the semester. Research shows that students that pass these courses are more confident and continue to succeed in college.
- Tuition and fees covered through the Privateer Pledge; visit www.uno.edu/pledge for details
- Dedicated mentoring and coaching
- A laptop and access to the internet (via hotspot), if needed.
- Monthly gas money or bus pass
- Leadership opportunities
- Work study opportunities
- 75 meals per semester provided