Skip to main content
At a Glance
Did You Know?
- UNO has graduated more than 80,000 alumni - more than half of whom live and work in the greater New Orleans metropolitan area.
- UNO has educated students from all 64 Louisiana parishes, all 50 states in the United States and more than 140 countries.
- Located on the southern shore of Lake Pontchartrain, only 15 minutes from the French Quarter, UNO occupies a 195-acre campus in one of the finest residential areas of the city.
- The University has been classified by the Carnegie Foundation as a Research University (high research activity), one of fewer than 100 public universities that holds this prestigious designator.
- The Brookings Institution ranked UNO third in the nation for providing equal access to higher education for students from all income levels.
- Over $41 million dollars in financial aid and scholarships are awarded annually to UNO students. Financial assistance is awarded to nearly 77% of our students.
- For six straight years, UNO has appeared on U.S. News & World Report’s least debt list (schools whose graduates have the least amount of debt) among national universities.
- UNO faculty represent a talented group of individuals with exceptional academic and professional credentials. Over 80% of full-time instructional faculty hold the doctorate or terminal degree in their field.
- UNO students, faculty and alumni perform on more stages at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival on an annual basis than representatives from any other college or university.
- In 2015, UNO marked the 40th year of its study-abroad collaboration with the University of Innsbruck in Austria. During that time more than 10,000 students have participated in the program.
- We are ranked among the top 1,000 universities in the world and the top 200 in the United States, according to the Center for World University Rankings.
- UNO alumni have the highest average early-career salaries among graduates of all Louisiana universities, according to a 2016 Payscale.com report.
- Innovative application of high impact educational practices at the University of New Orleans has earned the University recognition among the nation’s Colleges of Distinction, a national guide that highlights exceptional learning opportunities at top schools. UNO is the only public institution in Louisiana to be named a College of Distinction.