UNO Alumni Dominate New Principal Appoints in Jefferson Parish Public Schools
Jefferson Parish Public School System announced 13 new principals this week -- and six of them are University of New Orleans alumni.
All received or are pursuing Master's and doctoral degrees from UNO's College of Education and Human Development.
The UNO College of Education and Human Development offers the only PhD program in educational administration in the University of Louisiana System and prepares more educational personnel than any other college in metro New Orleans. Among other accomplishments, COEHD offers the only special education program in Louisiana that is focused on deaf/hard of hearing and the only special education program focused on significant disabilities. The College ranks first in the state in number of nationally recognized teacher education and educational leadership programs of study – the College currently boasts 20 such programs. COEHD's counselor education program is also designated a Program of National Distinction by its accrediting body.
According to UNO officials, the Jefferson Parish Public School System and The Times-Picayune:
- Tiffani LeBouef is the new principal of Airline Park Academy for Advanced Studies in Metairie. LeBouef taught in Jefferson and Orleans parishes before becoming principal of Alice Birney Elementary in Metairie in 2012. She received a Master of Education degree from UNO.
- Scott Deemer is the new principal of Gretna Middle School in Gretna. Deemer, who began his teaching career in Plaquemines Parish, is a native of Jefferson Parish, where he has served as a teacher, interim dean and assistant principal at Miller Wall Elementary in Marrero. He received a Master of Education degree from UNO.
- Karla Russo is the new principal of Haynes Academy for Advanced Studies in Metairie. Russo, who began her career in Jefferson Parish as a secondary mathematics teacher, has served as a secondary mathematics instructional strategist and assistant principal for Lily White Ruppel Academy for Advanced Studies in Gretna. Russo is currently pursuing a doctorate of education at UNO.
- Wesley Taylor is the new principal of Vic. A. Pitre Elementary in Westwego. Taylor began his teaching career in Jefferson Parish in 2003 as an elementary math, science, and social studies teacher and most recently, worked at Lionel Collins Montessori School in Marrero. Taylor is currently pursuing a doctorate at UNO.
- Vanessa Brown-Lewis is the new principal of West Jefferson High in Harvey, where she served as acting principal in 2012-13. Brown-Lewis received a Master of Education degree from UNO.
- Tamara Warner is the new principal of William Hart Elementary in Gretna. Warner has worked in Jefferson schools since 2004, as an elementary teacher and, most recently, as assistant principal of Harahan Elementary. Warner is currently pursuing a doctorate in education at UNO.