The fall 2021 Jazz at the Sandbar concert series kicks off Wednesday, October 13 at 7 p.m. at the University of New Orleans with drummer Herlin Riley’s tribute to Ellis Marsalis. The performances will take place at The Cove on UNO’s campus and are open to the public.
The series will be presented each Wednesday night and features a different respected jazz artist paired with UNO jazz studies students in a live nightclub setting. Jazz at the Sandbar was established by the late faculty member Ellis Marsalis in 1990. The performances are free to UNO students and employees. For anyone else, admission is $10 at the door. Attendees must show proof of vaccination or a recent negative PCR test to enter.
The fall 2021 series features five consecutive weeks of performances with a live audience, capped off with a virtual student combo showcase with professor and jazz guitarist Brian Seeger. For those who cannot attend in person, all performances will be livestreamed on Facebook.
Here is the fall 2021 lineup:
• October 13: Drummer Herlin Riley- Tribute to Ellis Marsalis
• October 20: Pianist Kris Tokarski- Celebration of Jelly Roll Morton
• October 27: Saxophonist Ed Petersen Big Band
• November 3: Bassist Amina Scott
• November 10: Reedist Rex Gregory
• November 17: Virtual Student Combo Showcase with Brian Seeger