If you’ve visited the University Center recently, you have undoubtedly noticed some major changes in campus dining. For starters, a new pizza joint has opened in the nook that once held a coffee shop.
And Chick-fil-A is temporarily closed—but not for much longer!
Chartwells Higher Education, the University’s new food service provider, has plans to open a full-service Chick-fil-A with full menu offerings in mid-October.
“The entire space is being rebuilt to increase the speed of service during peak dining hours, as well as welcome all guests to a warm and welcoming design aesthetic,” said Daniele Frechette, dining services marketing director for Chartwells.
Chartwells is the education sector of Compass Group, the world’s largest foodservice provider. Chartwells operates on 278 higher education campuses in the United States, Frechette said.
“We are dedicated to providing healthy dining options to the academic community,” said Frechette. “We are extremely excited to serve UNO students, faculty and staff as well as the greater campus community.”
In addition, the company will open a full-service PJ’s coffee in the UC in October.
Meanwhile, BUILD Pizza, which offers customizable, personal pizzas, is now operating in the University Center. The stand offers premium toppings along with “made from scratch dough” for a quick on-the-go meal.
“The dining options that Chartwells brings to UNO are robust, tasty, healthy and sustainable,” said Frechette. “Variety and value is something that we take very seriously.”
The company has “refreshed” the Galley with plans for a total renovation next year that will include creative seating areas, Frechette said.
The new layout this year includes set stations that focus on specific cuisine themes:
• Homestyle: Your down home-cooked comfort food station that will include dishes that will remind you of home.
• Rooted: Tasty vegetarian favorites that focus on vegetable forward menus.
• Flame-grilled favorites.
• Café NOLA: A taste of NOLA, including authentic Cajun and Creole specialties.
• 500 Degrees: Pizza, pasta and toasted sandwiches.
• Carved & Crafted Deli: Create your own deli masterpiece.
• Fresh 52 Salad Bar: Fresh veggies to make your ideal salad.
• Innovation: An action station that incorporates rotating themes and menus
• G8: A healthy option that cooks without the top seven major food allergens: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish, gluten and soy.
• The Nook: Breakfast all day, cereal, toast, bagels, smear, and create your own waffle bar.
• Beverage Depot: Complete with infused waters, juices, fountain beverages, PJ’s Coffee and Gold Peak teas.
• Sweet Shoppe: Freshly baked sweets and treats by an in-house baker.
“We look forward to the new expanded Chick-fil-A coming in October, as well as the new NOLA Market which will be serving PJ’s coffee,” said Patrick Linn, the University’s director of auxiliary services. “All in all, we are very excited to have Chartwells partner with UNO, and look forward to the changes that will be coming down the road."