Objectives and Outcomes
Program Educational Objectives
The Civil Engineering Program Educational Objectives can be summarized as follows. Graduates of the Civil Engineering Program at the University of New Orleans, within a few years after graduation:
- Will meet or exceed the expectations of the employers of program graduates.
- Will attain professional advancement.
- Will serve the needs of society by working and assuming leadership roles in the related fields of civil engineering.
ABET Student Learning Outcomes
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
The Civil Engineering Bachelor of Science program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Civil and Similarly Named Engineering Program Criteria.