The film arts program is designed to give students experience in film production. This course of study includes courses in film aesthetics, digital technology, film history, and script analysis as well electives such as documentary production, cinematography, editing, and sound design.
Film arts trains the complete, independent filmmaker, to give our students the best chance of success in the highly technical, creative, and competitive profession of film-making.
Student Learning Outcomes
College of Liberal Arts
Bachelor of Arts in Film and Theatre - Film Arts
- Film Arts students should have a fundamental knowledge of film production.
- Film Arts students must have a fundamental understanding of film aesthetics and theory.
- Provide exceptional Film Arts students with assistance and encouragement to pursue opportunities for advanced degrees and/or professional careers.
- Department will maintain a high level of satisfaction with the overall Film Arts program.
The degree requirements for film arts is an overview of courses required to complete the program.
Students have the opportunity to explore many aspects of visual storytelling, from high-tech digital post-production to documentary and dramatic film production and live performance. We also share our building with the Department of Music and Jazz Studies, creating an intimate synergistic atmosphere within a broad spectrum of the performing arts.
We have one of the most technologically advanced film programs in the country, with 4K digital cameras, a full complement of lighting gear, a grip truck, and 4K digital post-production editing, audio suites, color correction suites and a sound stage which is fully equipped and dedicated to student and department shoots. We also have a 4K theater for screening student films.
Students learn and use the following software:
- Avid Medial Composer and Pro Tools
- DaVinci Resolve
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Movie Magic Budgeting and Scheduling.
Cameras and Production Gear
We have a wide range of cameras including 4K Panasonic, Canon and RED cameras as well as Arri and Cinema Product 16mm cameras. Traditional and Fluorescent lights and Tascam, Sennheiser and Audio Technica sound equipment.