Industry Advisory Council
The Engineering Advisory Council is a collaboration between the COE faculty and local industry. This collaboration, established in 1982, has resulted in the creation of enhanced programs and new curriculum. The council is composed of industry executives who either are engineers or have an interest in the engineering profession.
- Foster direct professional communication between industry, engineering firms, government agencies and the COE.
- Meet regularly to advise the Dean and faculty on all matters that concern accreditation of the COE's undergraduate degree programs, professional development opportunities for the faculty, summer employment for students and the feasibility of establishing new curricula.
- Assist the COE in its efforts to attract, recruit and retain highly qualified students, especially women and minorities.
- Undertake activities designed to help the College achieve the level of excellence expected of a major metropolitan institution of higher learning.
- Advise the Fund on the particular needs of the various engineering programs at UNO and to make specific recommendations as to the distribution of resources.
- Executive Committee - Council Chairman, Vice Chairman, and the chairmen of all subcommittees listed below.
- Strategic Planning Committee - assists the Administration with the development and review of the COE's annual and long-term strategic plans, is a signatory to the annual plan as an exhibit to the ABET Committee of business and industry's involvement and approval of the Administration's plans, continuously reviews the goals and objectives of the Council as they may relate to the changing needs of the COE and recommend to the Council appropriate changes to the By-Laws, Committees, etc.
- Governmental Affairs Committee - helps the COE to remain cognizant of the political (State/Federal governments and LSU administration) changes that may adversely impact it, and organizes a Response/Action Plan that will be reviewed, discussed and brought to a vote by the Council.
- Academic Programs Committee - works closely with the Administration to recommend/champion the academic needs and curriculum of the COE as these needs relate to Industry and will function as industry's representative during meetings with the ABET Review Committees.
- Membership & Awards Committee - continually reviews and enhances the membership of the Advisory Council, recommends to the Advisory Council Industry Awards to be given in the name of UNO COE, and assists the Administration with the development of a public relations strategy for the College.
- Outreach Program Committee - endeavors to increase community awareness of the COE and its contributions to and involvement with the field of engineering throughout the greater New Orleans community, attempts to identify and target potential students from the region for enrollment in the College, with an emphasis on increasing minority and female attendance.
- Development Committee - works to obtain financial contributions, contributions in-kind and other personal commitments, networks with industry to locate jobs for students (summer and co-op), graduates and faculty.
Companies that are or have been represented by having employees on the Industry Advisory Council
- Apogen Technologies
- Arthur D. Darden, Inc.
- Boh Brothers
- Chevron USA
- CommTech Industries
- Crescent Tech., Inc.
- Denbury Resources
- DynMcDermott Petroleum Operations Co.
- Entergy Services
- Freeport McMoRan, Inc.
- Griff C. Lee, Inc
- Johnson Controls, Inc.
- J. Ray McDermott, Inc.
- L.B. Foster Company
- Lockheed Martin
- M.S. Benbow & Associates
- Northrop Grumman Ships Systems
- Port of New Orleans
- Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne
- Sewerage & Water Board of New Orleans
- Shell Exploration & Production Co.
- URS Corporation
- US Army Corps of Engineers
- W.H. Linder & Associates
- Wink, Incorporated
- W.S. Nelson, Inc.
Industries Represented on the Council
- Government contractor
- Information Technology
- Natural Resources Companies
- Consulting Engineering