Services for Clients Served by Private Rehabilitation Counselors
TRAC offers several services that can be helpful to counselors serving private rehabilitation clients. Services include both evaluations and training. Lodging is available for clients being served at the TRAC center. Evaluations and trainings can also be performed at mutually agreed upon off-campus sites.
Computer Skills Evaluation:
A computer skills assessment can assist the counselor in:
- Identifying a client's current computer skills and determine eligibility for posted jobs.
- Identifying computer skill deficits that with training can be remediated.
- Identifying assistive technology to support client success (i.e. accommodations for spelling deficits, alternate keyboard and pointing devices for individuals with physical challenges, screen/cursor magnification for individuals with visual impairments, etc.
The following areas are addressed in a computer skills assessment.
- Use and knowledge of standard business software applications including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Internet, email, and file management
- Typing/keyboarding skills (speed and accuracy).
- Data entry skills (accuracy and speed in retyping data from paper or on-screen to entry fields on screen.
- Ability to repeat/learn new tasks.
- Ability to recognize and correct for errors.
- Identify if assistive technology can support any observed deficits.
Assistive Technology Evaluations
TRAC conducts evaluations in computers and assistive technology to persons with visual, learning, physical and other disabilities.
The evaluation includes a hands-on demonstration of assistive technology. Includes disability specific devices, such as reading aids for the visually impaired, note taking devices for those with a learning disability or voice recognition software for people with a physical disability.
Sending a client for computer or assistive technology training can Increase a client's ability to use standard business software and expand the number of job opportunities for which they may qualify. TRAC offers individualized training or short-term group training on standard business software.
Course topics include:
- Basic Keyboarding skills
- Basic Operations of Windows (file management and accessory programs)
- Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Internet Explorer and E-mail
- Document scanning.
- Use of standard office machines (copier, fax, etc.).
- Smartphone technology.
- A variety of assistive technology.
Housing is available for participants who need to stay overnight while participating in services.