- Ph.D. Spanish, University of California, Davis, September 1990
- Dissertation: The Word Is the Sword : A Study of Language, Themes, and Rhyme in Fifteenth-century Spanish "Cancionero" Debate Poetry, director: Samuel G. Armistead.
- M.A. Spanish, University of California, Davis, 1982.
- B.A. with Honors in Spanish, Minor-Economics, California State University at Sacramento, December 1980
Areas of Expertise
- Medieval Spanish Literature
- Theories on Literary Aesthetics
- 15th-Century Cancionero Poetry