Ochsner Health Services provides medical services for currently-enrolled UNO students. Services for students are covered by a health fee equal to 2% of tuition. This fee is part of their tuition collected every semester they are enrolled at the University of New Orleans. There are modest charges for lab fees. We do not have an emergency room on campus. We do have a staff of expert professionals committed to the care of your student. We also have a network of additional care professionals in and around the New Orleans area to make referrals if necessary for more serious or long term conditions.
For your convenience, UNO participates in LINKS. LINKS is a confidential computer system that keep track of the student's immunization history.
Communicating about Your Student's Health
Ochsner Health Services maintains detailed medical records of all students treated in our facility. These records are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a federal act which mandates confidentiality of medical and academic records of the student. In keeping with FERPA and other state laws, as a general policy, we do not disclose medical information with family members or others without the student's consent.
In an emergency situation, staff will use their professional judgment to determine if a family member (in most cases, a parent) should be informed of a medical situation.
Many times parents may ask if their student can sign a release to provide medical records, as needed. Unfortunately, we must decline that request as FERPA does not allow for such a waiver.
Health Supplies to Bring
- Common first-aid supplies such as Band-Aids, other bandage material, a thermometer
- Prescription insurance cards as well as a list of prescriptions they are taking. It also a good idea to have a list of any medications your student is allergic to.
- A current supply of any prescriptions your student is taking.
- Common over-the-counter medications such as aspirin, decongestant, upset stomach relief, etc.
- Photocopies of relevant medical records if they have an ongoing condition that requires treatment.
Is a physical exam needed prior to attending UNO?
No. However, all new and transferring students must comply with the immunization policy to be admitted. Information on immunizations can be found on the Immunization Information page.