New & Returning Student Requirement
As a new or re-entering student, you are subject to a State legislated pre-matriculation immunization statute that requires you to provide UNO with your immunization status regarding Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Tetanus-Diphtheria (Td) or Tetanus Toxoid reduced diphtheria acellular pertussis (Tdap), and Meningococcal. The following information should help answer your questions about immunization requirements and related documentation.
Use your UNO Email address (email@example.com) in order to access the Immunization waiver.
For more information about immunizations, please visit UC 248 or call 504-280-6222.
- You must have had a Tetanus-Diphtheria (Td) or Tetanus toxoid reduced diphtheria acellular pertussis (Tdap) within the last ten years.
- If you were born on or after January 1, 1957, two measles-mumps-rubella immunizations are needed.
a. The first of these immunizations must be given after 1967, after your first birthday, and given without gamma globulin. The second must be given at least 30 days later.
b. If you had the disease, one of two proofs is necessary:
i. A blood test, called a titer, which shows immunity to the disease.
ii. The signature of the physician who attended you when you were ill with the disease.
- If you were born before 1957, there is no measles-mumps-rubella requirement.
- If you were born before 1957, the diphtheria-tetanus requirement still applies.
- All students must show proof of two does of meningococcal conjugate vaccination separated by at least eight weeks. Meningitis information. (If the first dose is administered AFTER age 16, a second dose is NOT required.)
- Please have the proof of immunization compliance form completed and returned prior to registration. Failure to do so will result in your registration being delayed or denied. The information may be faxed, mailed, or returned in person.
- You must use your UNO email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) to complete the Immunization Waiver. Please note that it may take 24-48 hours for the immunization hold to be lifted from the student record.
New or Re-entering Students Who Need Immunization
Ochsner Health Services can provide some immunizations for students admitted to the university but have not paid fees yet or attended classes. There is a fee associated with these immunizations and are payable at the time of service. Please contact Ochsner Health Services for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
If I decide to go to an outside clinic to be immunized, what should I take with me?
You should bring the Proof of Immunization Compliance Form to be completed by the health care professional at the clinic or office of your choice.
If I graduated from UNO and plan to continue with graduate school, will I have to submit another completed immunization form?
No, if we already have your immunization records on file, you do not have to submit another immunization form. However, if you’ve never submitted your immunization records at all, then it is recommended that you receive the needed immunizations.
If my records were destroyed due to extenuating circumstances, what should I do?
Although it is understandable that you may have already been immunized, the documentation is required to attend any school in Louisiana. As stated earlier, there are clinics in the New Orleans area, and students can be immunized through Ochsner Health Services. It is strongly recommended that several copies be kept in a safe place for your own personal records.
Will I be able to register if my immunization records aren’t submitted before school starts?
No. Registration is delayed until the immunization requirement is met.
I had my vaccines a long time ago. Are they still valid?
Valid vaccines mean that the Tetanus-Diphtheria (Td) or Tetanus toxoid reduced diphtheria acellular pertussis (Tdap) was taken within the last 10 years from the current date, and the two MMR vaccines have been taken twice. The MMR vaccinations are good for life. Additionally, two meningococcal vaccines are required and should be separated by at least eight weeks. (If the first dose is administered AFTER age 16, a second dose is NOT required.)
How can I submit my immunization records?
UNO accepts immunization records via mail, fax, email or in person to UC 248. Mail immunization records to the Office of Student Affairs, 2000 Lakeshore Dr. 248 University Center, New Orleans, LA 70148. Fax to 504.280.3975. Email scanned documents to email@example.com.
Can I obtain a copy of my immunization records from UNO?
Yes! Complete this form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions can be included or contact us at 504.280.6222.
I'm traveling abroad. Can I receive information about vaccines?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) operates an international traveler’s immunization hotline to obtain information about required or recommended shots for your destination. Call them at (877)394-8747, or visit their website www.cdc.gov.