Many students are interested in attending pharmacy school in the future. Although UNO does not have a college of pharmacy, through the College of Sciences, students can prepare for pharmacy school. Many students take advantage of the Chemistry Department’s course offerings in biochemistry and medicinal chemistry as they prepare for advanced study in various health professions. At UNO, all pre-pharmacy students are advised through the Chemistry Department.
In the state of Louisiana, there are two colleges of pharmacy. Information about the required coursework to apply to one of these colleges of pharmacy with UNO course equivalencies is provided. All chemistry majors, including pre-pharmacy students, are required to meet with an advisor each semester to plan their class schedule.
While students may meet the minimum requirements for entrance into pharmacy school prior to completing a degree in chemistry, it is highly recommended that students complete their B.S. in chemistry. Admission to these schools is highly competitive and having completed a baccalaureate degree in the sciences is your advantage.
General Information About Pharmacy Admissions
- Many colleges of pharmacy will not accept undergraduate courses taken more than 7 years ago
- Grades less than C in any pre-pharmacy requirements are not accepted.
- PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test) scores are typically required
- Most colleges of pharmacy require letters of recommendation from math or science faculty members as part of the admissions application
- A statement of interest or personal interview may also be required
- Always review the admissions requirements of the college of pharmacy that you are preparing to attend for specific information about application processes