- A B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited institution
- A 2.5 minimum grade point average
- Satisfactory scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Satisfactory writing and analytic skills as demonstrated through a statement of purpose
- Interests compatible with those of current faculty
Department of Sociology deadlines are earlier than Graduate School deadlines and take priority. Even though the posted deadlines for the Graduate School are later, please have all materials submitted both to the Department of Sociology and the Graduate School by application deadlines listed below.
Step 2: Apply to Graduate School
1) Complete the Graduate School Online Application.
2) Send official transcripts from all undergraduate and previous graduate institutions attended and official GRE scores (the latter only required for applicants seeking funding) to the Office of Admissions.
Office of Admissions
University of New Orleans
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70148
Transcripts may be submitted electronically to: email@example.com
3) Request for Graduate Assistantship (Optional)
Deadline for Fall Semester: March 1st for consideration with financial aid; July 1st for consideration without financial aid.
- Deadline for Spring Semester: October 15th
- Deadline for Summer session: April 15th
Beginning with applications for Fall Semester 2013, the Sociology Department will no longer practice rolling admissions before the application deadline. Instead, all applications will be reviewed together after the deadline for each term and prospective students will be notified within a month (by March 31st, July 30th, or November 15th) whether they have been granted or denied admission. Students who apply after the deadline will be reviewed within the month of application.
All application materials must be received by the Graduate School and Graduate Coordinator respectively by the application deadline for the application to be reviewed:
- official transcripts
- application fee
- statement of purpose
- GRE scores
- letters of recommendation
Under special circumstances students may be admitted provisionally for one semester without GRE scores. If GRE scores are not submitted during the first semester, the student may be dropped.