Objectives and Outcomes
Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
Program Educational Objectives
Graduates of the University of New Orleans Mechanical Engineering program will:
- Advance professionally, either through employment or progress toward an advanced degree, by applying their technical knowledge and abilities.
- Attain positions of increasing responsibility through employing effective workplace skills and the professional practice of engineering.
Student Learning Outcomes (ABET)
All graduates of the mechanical engineering program are expected to have:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.