How to Apply:
Applied Physics (M.S.)
The student should have successfully completed a baccalaureate degree program at a university or college approved by a recognized accrediting agency. The student’s record should indicate a high level of performance and promise, particularly in the field of physics.
- Minimum TOEFL score (composite) is 79 iBT (internet) or 550 paper-based.
- Recommended minimum GRE scores are 300 (verbal + quantitative) and 3.5 on analytical writing.
After the student has submitted the online application for admission the University, admission to graduate study in physics will be determined by the Department of Physics on the basis of the student’s previous academic record, scores on the general portion of the Graduate Record Examination, and (for financial assistance) letters of recommendation. Requirements for admission without deficiencies are general chemistry, mathematics through differential equations, and satisfactory coursework in the major areas of classical physics.
Application is considered to be completed only if all required materials such as application fee payment, official transcripts and official test scores are received by the deadline.
Please read the graduate checklist prior to completing the online application.
- Go to apply.uno.edu
- Click on the link in the "Graduate" column
- Click the "Create Account" tab located on the top right-hand side of the page
- Fill out the online application and include the following information
- personal, citizenship and contact information
- the appropriate academic program and intended term of admission
- previous university education, degrees and degree dates
- enter residency data
- list any awards received, your GPA and GRE scores (all official transcripts and official scores must be sent to UNO)
- Fill out the online application and attach the necessary documents
- Statement of Purpose
- The names and contact information for the three people who will submit letters of recommendation for you (academic references are preferred but we also accept professional references)
- Please submit test scores. Official test scores should be sent to the University of New Orleans. Only IELTS scores may be sent via mail. All other scores (GRE and TOEFL) should be reported electronically by the testing agency.*
- Submit official transcripts from each institution that you have attended. International students may also need to submit certified English translations and evaluations of your transcripts. Learn more
After your application packet is review, you will receive an email with your UNO student number.