How To Apply
Counselor Education Doctoral Program (Ph.D.)
This web page should be used as a basic outline for submitting application documents and should not be considered a legal document.
Please contact the counseling program at email@example.com, for more in-depth and up-to-date information to meet all program admission requirements
Steps marked with * are completed using the online application
- Access the online application by clicking on the link below, read the graduate admissions information, and follow links to create an account to begin electronic application process.
- Complete the application
- Write personal statement and attach to online application. Guidelines are below.*
- Input the contact information for three references.*
- Attach Professional Resume. *
- Send Official Transcripts from ALL previously attended institutions. Instructions for submitting are provided on the Graduate Application Procedures page link above
We no longer require GRE scores for admission to the Counselor Education Doctoral Program.
Application due dates for consideration for admissions
- Fall: February 15th (priority for scholarship consideration); March 15th (final deadline)
- Spring: As of May 2023, we are only accepting PhD applications to start in a Fall semester.
For more information about International Student’s policies, procedures and requirements please visit the Office of International Students and Scholars at www.oiss.uno.edu.Resources
Personal Statement Guidelines
The personal statement is a thoughtful 3-5 page essay that describes the following elements:
- A summary of your education and work experience and how they have contributed to your readiness for counselor education.
- Your reason for wanting to earn a Ph.D. in counseling.
- Your professional goals and how a UNO Doctoral Degree in Counselor Education can help your accomplish your professional goals.
Only those applications that are complete and include all the required documentation will be considered for review.
Dr. Zarus Watson
Office: ED 172
Counseling Coordination Office: ED 180
Once completed applications are received and reviewed, selected applicants will be invited for individual interviews with the program faculty. Information will be sent via email regarding the dates and times for interviews. Interviews will cover:
- your reasons for pursuing doctoral studies
- why you have chosen counseling as a profession
- why you have chosen to apply to this particular doctoral program
- your career goals
- areas in which you might conduct research
- your understanding of the challenges inherent in completing a Ph.D. in our program
- your receptivity to feedback
- your commitment to diversity
Additional Interview Requirements
As part of the Interview process, applicants will be given instructions about submitting a mock counseling session video and instructions for a writing prompt.
Following the screening interviews, the program faculty will conduct a final review of applications and supporting materials and select applicants for admission. Applicants will be notified by email of their admissions status.