Counselor Education Graduate Programs
The Counselor Education Program at the University of New Orleans has been recognized by the University as a Program of Distinction. The program prepares exemplary graduates to serve in a variety of positions in community mental health and school settings (Master’s level) and as counselor educators, supervisors, administrators, and researchers (Doctoral level).
We establish expectations for a rigorous intellectual climate and provide a supportive environment for a diverse student body to grow and develop personally, interpersonally, clinically, and professionally. We prepare graduates who:
- Possess a clear and consistent awareness of themselves and their impact on others.
- Acquire knowledge and skills to practice effectively and ethically.
- Excel as practitioners and practice life-long learning.
- Provide leadership to the community and advocate on behalf of clients and their communities.
- Value professional integrity and diligence.
- Commit to compassionate service to humanity and foster the growth, development, and wellness of individuals and communities at the local, state, national, and international levels.
Goals and Objectives
Master's-level students will attain strong theoretical foundations in the core areas of counseling.
Master's-level students will be able to successfully apply knowledge and skills covered in graduate courses to counseling settings.
Master's-level students will develop and demonstrate multicultural competence in counseling.
Master's-level students will develop strong identities as professional counselors.
Doctoral students will acquire and demonstrate skills in advanced counseling practice and counseling supervision.
Doctoral students will acquire and demonstrate advanced research skills.
Doctoral students will occupy leadership roles in the counseling and counselor education professions and societies.
The program's student population will be diverse with respect to race, gender, and other cultural identities.
Master's and doctoral graduates will secure professional positions in counseling and counselor education respectively.