How to Apply
Master of Education in Counseling (M.Ed.)
This web page should be used as a basic outline for submitting application documents and should not be considered a legal document.
Please contact the counseling program at email@example.com, for more in-depth and up-to-date information to meet all program admission requirements.
All graduate candidates are to complete the UNO online application. Please follow the instruction to successfully complete the application.
- Access the online application by clicking on the link below, read the graduate admissions information, and follow links to create an account to begin electronic application process.
- Complete the application
- Write a personal statement and attach to online application. Guidelines are below.
- Write a personal reflection and attach to the online application. Guidelines are below.
- Send official Transcripts from ALL previously attended institutions. Instructions are provided on the Graduate Application Procedures.
Only those applications that are complete and include all the required documentation will be considered for review. If you do not complete the application process by the deadline you can notify the Graduate School and indicate whether or not you wish to be considered for the next application deadline.
Master’s applicants do not need to submit references (letters of recommendation) or a professional resume. Applicants are not required to complete the GRE.
- Fall: February 15th (priority for scholarship consideration); March 15th (final deadline)
- Spring: October 15th
We are not currently permitting non-degree students to enroll in Counselor Education graduate courses.International Admissions Policy
For more information about International Student’s policies, procedures and requirements please visit the Office of International Students and Scholars at OISS.
Personal Statement Guidelines
The Personal Statement is a thoughtful 2-3 page essay that describes the following elements:
- A summary of your educational and work experiences and how they have contributed to your readiness for counselor education
- Your reason(s) for wanting to earn a Masters in Counselor Education
- Your professional goals and how a UNO Master’s Degree in Counselor Education can help you accomplish your professional goals.
Note: Applicants are encouraged to review information from the American Counseling Association and/or the American School Counselor Association prior to writing your Personal Statement to ensure that your professional goals align with the counseling profession, rather than other helping professions.
Personal Reflection Guidelines
The personal reflection should be a thoughtful 2-3 page essay that describes the following elements:
- Describe a work situation with fellow employees that was a challenge to deal with for you.
- If you were in a similar situation, describe how you would handle that situation differently.
Once an application and the required materials (i.e., personal statement, personal reflection, transcripts) are received, counseling faculty will review the application materials provided. Any correspondence regarding admission will be sent via email.