The University of New Orleans requires international students in F and J immigration status to have medical insurance coverage. Charges for the University's insurance plan are automatically placed on students' bills each term. Information about the health insurance plan for the 2022-23 year is available at https://www.pghintlstudent.com/school_page/university-of-new-orleans/home-university-of-new-orleans/. Details about the coverage and costs are outlined in the Certificates and Flyers link on the left side of the insurance plan page.
Students with their own coverage that meets the University's minimum requirements may request a waiver of the insurance fee by submitting the F- 1 or J-1 Insurance Coverage Evaluation form (see links below) to their insurance company for verification of coverage. The completed form then must be submitted to the Office of International Students and Scholars no later than Friday, January 27, 2023 for Spring 2023. Late requests will not be accepted.
Dates of health insurance coverage must cover the student from at least the first day of classes to the last day of final exams for the semester in which the health insurance waiver is requested. Students are recommended to maintain continuous health insurance coverage throughout their studies.
For the Spring 2023 term, coverage must begin on or before 01/23/2023 and end on or after 05/19/2023.
Please do not purchase an insurance plan that will extend past the Summer 2023 term. The Insurance Coverage Evaluation Form will be updated with new requirements beginning Fall 2023 and the insurance provider or coverage may need to change accordingly at that time.
Health Insurance Requirements based on Department of State requirements.
(must cover pre-existing condition related deaths)
|Medical Evacuation Coverage||Maximum Deductible**||U.S. Based Claims Office|
|F-1/F-2||$100,000 per accident/illness OR $200,000 minimum aggregate||$25,000||$50,000||$500||Required|
|J-1/J-2||$100,000 per accident/illness||$25,000||$50,000||$500||Required|
*Medical/Accident Coverage must include:
- Emergency and non-emergency care (no emergency only policies will be accepted).
- Maternity benefits coverage (regardless of gender) of 36 weeks gestation, labor and delivery. Please refer to the following website for sections 1681 and 1687 of Title IX of 1972 regarding equal treatment of male and female students http://www.dol.gov/oasam/regs/statutes/titleix.htm .
- The insurance policy is underwritten by an insurance company with an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above, a Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of "B+" or above.
- Must cover medically necessary tests and treatment for COVID19 as any other sickness.
- Must cover medically necessary diagnostic x-ray services, laboratory procedures, and tests.
** Maximum Deductible:
- For multiple party plans, the maximum deductible is $500 per person, not to exceed $1,000.
PLEASE NOTE: The Insurance Coverage Evaluation form requires your insurance provider to indicate “Yes” or “No” for coverage on each requirement. If any requirement is marked “No”, except for repatriation and/or medical evacuation, the UNO health insurance charge will not be waived.
Please do not purchase a policy until the insurance company confirms the coverage meets all UNO requirements and that they will complete the form to verify coverage.
UNO insurance requirements are based on federal regulations and are subject to change.
Individuals whose insurance policies do not cover repatriation and/or medical evacuation must attach documentation of a separate policy providing this coverage in order to be approved for a waiver of the UNO insurance charge.
International students in F-1 status with private insurance should send the form below to the insurance company for completion. The form must be signed by the student and submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to request a waiver for Spring 2023 is 4:30 p.m. on Friday, January 27th. Late forms will not be accepted.
International students in J-1 status with private insurance should send the form below to the insurance company for completion. The form must be signed by the student and submitted by email to email@example.com . The deadline to request a waiver for Spring 2023 is 4:30 p.m. on Friday, January 27th. Late forms will not be accepted.