Add-on Certification in Early Intervention
(Effective Fall, 2023, we will no longer be enrolling new students in this certificate)
Children with Disabilities from Birth to Five Years Old and their Families
The Department of Curriculum, Instruction and Special Education, offers courses in the area of early intervention for Louisiana teachers certified in any other area who wish to add-on an endorsement to their teaching certificates.
Qualifications for Certification
To qualify for the add-on certification program, the candidate must already hold a teaching certificate. The early intervention add-on certification program is 18 credit hours.
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited university
- Certification in a related area of education
- Transcripts of graduate studies, if applicable
In addition to "Training and Collaboration" (TAC) coursework and field experiences in the add-on certification program, the Louisiana Department of Education requires passing PRAXIS tests: 5001, 5691 and 5621.
- EDSP 5775 – Tests and Measurements for Exceptional Individuals
- EDSP 6030 – Health and Physical Considerations for Individuals with Severe Disabilities
- EDSP 6085 – Foundations in Early Childhood Education and Early Intervention
- EDSP 6090 – Strengthening Family and Community Partnerships
- EDSP 6555 – Educational Provisions & Classroom Management of Children with Disabilities in Early Intervention Programs
- EDSP 6560 – Communication and Literacy