Ph.D. University of California
B.A., Point Loma College
Ph.D. University of California, San Diego, 1978 At UNO since 1986 Dr. Lane received his Ph.D. in Economics from the University of California, San Diego with a specialization in Microeconomic Theory and Industrial Organization. He has published in the American Economic Review, the Bell Journal of Economics, and the Southern Economic Journal. His current research interests are in the field of Health Care Economics.
- Antitrust and Regulation
- Health Care Economics
- Chair, Department of Economics and Finance, UNO, 1999-Present
- Director, M.S. Program in Health Care Management, UNO, 2003-present
- Associate Chair, University of New Orleans, 1995-1999
- Graduate Coordinator, University of New Orleans, 1988-1994
- Associate Professor, University of New Orleans, 1986-Present
- Assistant Professor, Texas A&M University, 1979-1986
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1978- 1979
- Associate Instructor, UCSD, 1978
- Lecturer, Point Loma College, 1976-1977
- Teaching Assistant, UCSD, 1975-1977
- “A Theory of Oligopolistic Competition”, with M. L. Greenhut, The Manchester School
- of Economic and Social Studies, Vol. 57 (September 1989) 248-61.
- “Compulsory Trademark Licensing”, The Southern Economic Journal, Vol. 54 (January 1988) 643-55.
- “The Futility of Antitrust Attacks on Tie-In Sales: An Economic and Legal Analysis”, The Hastings Law Journal, Vol. 36 (November, 1984) 173-213; with H. N. Butler and O. R. Phillips.
- “Quality, Uncertainty, Search and Advertising”, Economic Review, Vol. 73 (December, 1983) 881-894; with S. N. Wiggins.
- “Product Differentiation in a Market with Endogenous Sequential Entry”, Bell Journal of Economics, Vol. 11 Spring, 1980) 237-260.
- “Capital Budgeting Process of Healthcare Firms: a Survey of Surveys” with Naseem Alrahalah and Tarun Mukherjee, Journal of Healthcare Management, forthcoming.
- “The US Community Banking Performance”with William J. Hippler and M. Kabir Hassan, The Journal of Corporate Ownership and Control (volume 13) forthcoming.
- Board of Commissioners, Slidell Memorial Hospital, 2006-Present
- Treasurer 2010-2012, 2015-Present
- Chair 2013-2014
- Member, Slidell Economic Development Alliance, 2011-Present
- Member, Slidell Economic Development Plan Task Force, 2009-2010
- Moderator, Citizens for a Better New Orleans meeting, October, 2009
- Regular Commentator, Garland Robinette Show, WWL Radio
- Commentator, WWLTV,Fox8 News, KTV in Kenner, WDSU
- Board Member, Slidell Memorial Hospital Foundation, 2006-2008
- Chair, Slidell Memorial Hospital Advisory Board, 2005
- Co-President UNO Finance and Economics Advisory Council 2000-present.
- Co-Principal Investigator for Community Banking Research Project with Kabir Hassan. 2014 funded by Gulf Coast Bank
- Principal Investigator for Cost per Unit of Service Assessment HIV/AID Patients in the New Orleans Metropolitan Area (1998) with the City of New Orleans Office of Health Policy.
- Consultant to LSU Medical School Study on the Provision of Services to HIV Positive Persons in the New Orleans Metropolitan Area (1997).
- Principal Investigator for Study of Effect of Casino and Riverboat Gaming on Public Utilities in the City of New Orleans (1995-1996).
- Expert Witness for Osborne, McComiskey & Richardson-Harpin Sierra Club, et al. Vs. Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries, et al.(1988).
- Attorney General, State of California. "Crude Oil Refinery Values as Shadow Prices," (1985).
- Federal Trade Commission Contract L0797. "An Economic Analysis of Strategic Planning Models," with S.N. Wiggins (1981).
Health Care Economics
Honors and Awards
Awards, Lectureships, and Prizes:
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Point Loma College, 1974
- Regents Fellowship, UCSD, 1974-1975
- Research Grant, College of Liberal Arts, Texas A&M, 1980