Registered Student Organization (RSO) COVID-19 Guidelines
Social connections through student involvement opportunities are important both to building a sense of community and also to the success of students. To ensure the health and safety of individuals and the collective UNO community, Registered Student Organization (RSO) activities will operate with less restrictive COVID-19 guidelines during the Spring 2022 semester.
Please review the UNO Return to Campus Guide for the most up-to-date information regarding the University's COVID-19 Response.
- RSO's will be responsible for having trained event monitor(s) at all in-person events. Event monitors can complete the training HERE. (Please enter your username as your first name and last initial.)
- In-Person RSO events and activities must have an event/activity plan in place that ensures safety for members and participants and one trained event monitor per 50 people.
- Any food or drink served at RSO events must be distributed by servers who are wearing gloves.
- RSO Travel: Organizations should consider current rate of positive cases in the area travel is anticipated in order to determine associated risk levels.
Please review the UNO Return to Campus Guide for the most up-to-date information regarding in-person events (e.g., event capacity, guest policies, etc).
- Masks are required in all indoor spaces. KN95 and N95 masks are recommended.
- Based on city restrictions, gatherings are limited to 250 persons indoors and 500 persons outdoors. Large indoor and outdoor events will be permissible under one of the following criteria:
- 50% indoor capacity/75% outdoor capacity without masks or distancing, or
- 100% capacity with masks required, or
- 100% capacity without masks if individuals provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours.
- Organizations should consider accessibility accommodations for those who attend in person as well as those unable to attend. They should consider streaming the event partially online/virtually so those unable to attend in-person may still participate.
- In-Person RSO events and activities must have an event/activity plan in place that ensures safety for members and participants and one trained event monitor per 50 people. RSO's will be responsible for having trained event monitor(s) at all in person events. Event monitors can complete the training HERE. (Please use your first name and last initial as your username.)
RSO's may host virtual events without COVID-19 restrictions.
- If you would like your virtual event to be shared on the University calendar, please submit a virtual event registration form.
- Please caption any videos you will use or watch.
- Some students will need to have a sign language interpreter or a real-time captioner present during a videoconference meeting. If a student requests one of these services for your event, send the following details to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com: Date of meeting, Time of meeting (Start/End), Consumer (student’s name) and contact info, Point of Contact (your information), Your meeting ID number/link, and whether an interpreter or transcription is needed.
A note on hosting virtual events
Videoconferencing offers opportunities for trolls to enter public spaces to share pornography or racist, hateful speech. Here are tips to make it a little harder for folx to troll your event:
- Don’t use your Personal Meeting ID in Zoom.
- Enable the “waiting room” feature on your meetings so you can see who is waiting to talk with you. Let just one new student join at a time.
- Disable risky activities in your settings. Disable “Join Before Host” and disable screen sharing and remote control. Also disable file transferring, annotations, and the autosave feature for chats.
- Assign multiple co-hosts to help moderate the chat and conversation in case anyone tries to derail your meeting. By clicking on “participants,” hosts can mute participants and message them directly.
Please give members grace and understanding during this time. Together we can ensure a safe and successful school year!