Dr. Markus Schuckert is Professor and Director of the Lester E. Kabacoff School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Administration (HRT) at the University of New Orleans. Prior to joining UNO in September 2020, he was an tenured Associate Professor at the School of Hotel & Tourism Management of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University and a Professor for Tourism and Transport Management and Director of the Institute for Tourism and Leisure Research and School of Tourism in Chur, Switzerland.
His core industry experience originated from the aviation and tourism sector on international level. As an entrepreneur, Markus established a consulting company for tourism market research, product development and change management in tourism organizations and destinations in Europe.
As experienced researcher, Markus is a specialist for digital marketing, travel technology and strategic management. He applies this expertise across the travel and hospitality value chain. With over 100 publications, Markus contributes to top journals in the field, international conferences, industry meetings, and by editing books for educators and practitioneers. Markus is in editing capacity for several tourism and hospitality journals and peer-reviews for over 30 journals and institutions.
As a passionate educator, Markus delivers HTM related subjects at business schools internationally. He supervised over 100 students across on undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate level. Caring for the next generation of industry leaders, he is supervising postgraduate students in Europe, America and Asia-Pacific. Markus is working at the edge of contemporary teaching technology to enhance learning experience, integrating new methods and techniques into courses and seminars on-campus and online.
Digital Marketing, Travel Technology, Destination Management, Strategic Management
Honors and Awards
- 2020 International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management - Literati Award Winners 2020: Category Highly Commended Papers: How to improve the stated helpfulness of hotel reviews? A multilevel approach. Liang, S., Schuckert, M., Law, R. (2019). International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31(2), 953-977.
- 2019 Top Peer Reviewer 2019 in Social Science, Web of Science (WoS).
- 2019 Shortlisted for Wharton-QS Reimagining Education Award, Best Distributed Program for Nurturing 21st-Century Skills Award Category, HKPolyUx International Hospitality Management MircroMaster.
- 2019 Shortlisted for Wharton-QS Reimagine Education Award, Presence Learning and Teaching Award Category: Incorporating output from student research in the revision of subject syllabus in rapidly advancing business and technology areas.. Tsui, E (PI); Fong, F.; Law, K.; Gronau, N.; Kam, R.; Schuckert, M.; Zhao, A. (Co-Is).
- 2019 Nominated for SHTM Teaching Excellence Award 2018/19.
- 2019 edX Prize 2019 Finalist Nomination for HKPolyUx International Hospitality Management MircroMaster Team.
- 2018 Gold Winner 2018 LearnX Impact Awards, Future Learning category: Incorporating output from student research in the revision of subject syllabus in rapidly advancing business and technology areas.. Tsui, E (PI); Fong, F.; Law, K.; Gronau, N.; Kam, R.; Schuckert, M.; Zhao, A. (Co-Is).
- 2018 Shortlisted for QS Wharton Reimagine Education Award: Incorporating output from student research in the revision of subject syllabus in rapidly advancing business and technology areas. Tsui, E (PI); Fong, F.; Law, K.; Gronau, N.; Kam, R.; Schuckert, M.; Zhao, A. (Co-Is).
- 2018 Outstanding Reviewer Award Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management.
- 2018 Outstanding Reviewer Award Annals of Tourism Research.
- 2017 Outstanding Reviewer Award Tourism Management
- 2017 Nominated for SHTM Research Excellence Award 2016/17.
- 2017 APJTR Best Paper of the Year 2016: Insights into Suspicious Online Rating: Direct Evidence from TripAdvisor, co-authored by Xianwei Liu and Rob Law (APJTR 21(3)).
- 2016 Outstanding Reviewer Award International Journal of Hospitality Management.
- 2015 Award of Excellence for Pacific Asia Travel Association Hong Kong SHTM Student Chapter.
- 2014 Best Paper Award for Chen, Y., Schuckert, M., Song, H., & Chon, K., (2014). Why Package Tours Fall in Popularity: Evidence from China’s Outbound Tourism Market. 2014 Global Marketing Conference, Singapore July 15 – 18, 39.