Transfer Frequently Asked Questions


Q1. Am I admissible for transfer to UNO?

Answer: A student must have completed at least 24 credit hours of non-developmental course work including a college level English and math and have a 2.25 grade point average from an accredited college or university.  Students who have not earned at least 24 credit hours of non-developmental course work are required to submit an official high school transcript and official ACT or SAT test scores.

Q2. Are official transcripts from all previously attended institutions, including high school, required?

Answer:  Yes, official transcripts from all previously attended institutions. High school transcripts are required only if you have less than 24 transferable hours.

Q3. How are transfer courses with "D" grades considered?

Answer: "D" grades transfer for general university purposes. Individual colleges may elect not to use "D" grades in a student's major or for specific college requirements.

Q4. What maximum number of hours can be transferred from a two-year college? From a four-year college?

Answer: All credits from a regionally accredited college or university will be considered for transfer. The extent to which these credits will be used for degree purposes will be determined by the dean of your respective degree program. Only 60 hours from a junior college can be used towards a degree at UNO. A candidate for a bachelor's degree must earn at least 30 semester hours of credit in the college from which the degree is to be earned.


Q5. What standardized tests and scores (ACT/SAT) are required for transferring?

Answer: If you have less than 24 credit hours hours of non-remedial courses, the ACT or SAT is required with acceptable scores unless you are over 25 years of age.


Q6. Will an associate degree improve the likelihood of admission?

Answer: If you have a prior degree, you may be admitted to the University unless you have a GPA lower than 2.0. In this case, your application will be reviewed by the Director of Admissions for consideration to be admitted on probation.


Q7. Must I take the English 1158 proficiency exam?

Answer: Yes, if you are attempting to earn credit for College Board Advanced Placement, CLEP, or International Baccalaureate exams.


Q8. Are transfer students currently on academic suspension from their last college or university eligible for admission?

Answer: No.

Transfer Credit

Q9. What if my course does not have an exact UNO equivalent?

Answer: UNO course numbers appear on your evaluation when there are exact equivalents. Courses listed by title may not have an exact equivalent but are still considered transferable for general University purposes. You should check with your academic adviser to see which of your non-equated courses can be applied toward your degree.

Q10. When will my credits be evaluated?

Answer: Generally within 2 weeks of your admission notification.


Q11. Who will help me with course scheduling and degree planning?

Answer: Contact your academic adviser if you have questions about course scheduling and degree planning. Your college dean's office can put you in touch with your academic adviser.


Q12. Who determines degree credit for transfer courses? How are course equivalencies determined?

Answer: Transfer credit evaluators in the Office of Admissions review catalog descriptions to determine course equivalencies. Transfer tables of equivalencies have been created for many institutions. If course equivalencies are unclear from descriptions, the Admissions Offices contacts academic departments to make equivalency assessments. The extent to which specific courses are used for degree credit is determined by departmental or college representatives within the respective programs.


Q13. Are all attempted courses used in calculating a transfer's cumulative average for admission? Any exceptions?

Answer: All non-developmental, non-technical courses are used to calculate GPA.  All attempts are included even repeated courses.


Q14. What minimum number of credit hours must a transfer earn to receive an associate degree? A baccalaureate degree?

Answer: No associate degrees are granted. At least 30 semester hours must be completed in the program of study at UNO to receive a bachelor's degree.


Q15. When a course is repeated, how is the grade used in the calculation of grade-point average?

Answer: All attempts are included in the GPA, not just the best attempt.


Q16. Whom should I talk to if I have questions about my evaluation?

Answer: Contact the evaluator whose name appears in the heading of the first page of your evaluation. Questions regarding the applicability of your transfer credit to your specific degree program should be referred to your college dean's office.


Q17. Is credit accepted from non-accredited institutions?

Answer: Generally, no.


Q18. What limits exist on credit gained by non-traditional means?

Answer: Credit from all forms of advanced standing examinations and from bypass credit cannot exceed 30 hours. Each college sets the amount of degree credit it will accept in correspondence or extension courses. Formal education programs sponsored by non-collegiate organizations (business, industry, government, voluntary, and professional agencies) may be awarded credit if recommended by the American Council on Education.


Q19. Are competency tests required on courses completed with satisfactory grades from regionally accredited institutions?

Answer: Competency exams are required for some business courses if the courses were taken at the lower level (freshman/sophomore) at the previous institution but offered at the junior/senior level at UNO.


Q20. Is credit granted for coursework completed at technical, vocational, or proprietary schools?

Answer: Generally, no.


Q21. How are courses from nontraditional systems evaluated?

Answer: The Office of Admissions assesses credit for general University purposes according to the American Council on Education guidelines. Individual colleges and academic departments assess whether this general University credit applies toward a particular degree program.


Q22. If course credit was earned at an institution awarding credit in quarter hours, how will the credit be calculated?

Answer: The number of quarter hours multiplied by 2/3 equals the number of semester hours.

Financial Aid

Q23. What student financial aid programs are available? Who on UNO's campus should be contacted for information about financial aid?

Answer: All types of financial aid, including scholarships, are handled through the Office of Student Financial Aid, 504-280-6603. Financial need is determined by information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The following forms of financial aid are available at UNO: PELL Grants, Supplementary Educational Opportunity Grants, Perkins Student Loans, College Work-Study Programs, State Student Incentive Grants, and the Federal Family Loan Programs, i.e. Stafford, Unsubsidized and Parent Loans. UNO also awards over $1.5 million in scholarships and employment opportunities are available through various University departments and offices. In order for transfer students to be eligible, all official transcripts must be received and all credits posted.