UNO ISEP Outgoing Students Application Instructions


Don't forget to speak to your financial aid counselor about using your aid package to help pay for studying abroad.

And be sure to look for funding sources by starting with our page.

We are excited that you have decided to make study abroad an integral part of your UNO degree! By spending a semester or two at one of UNO's partner institutions, you will gain knowledge and skills far beyond the classroom that will change your life in so many ways it's hard to describe! It is important to know, however, that studying abroad for a longer-term program takes a lot of planning and follow-through. You must not only meet eligibility requirements to apply, but you must also have selected the right partner institution for you, know which semester(s) you want to study abroad, and have talked with your academic counselor to alert them to your intentions to embark upon this amazing journey! Typically, students plan at least 6 months to 1 year ahead of their expected departure.

If you have not discussed your hopes, dreams, goals, and ambitions with us, make an appointment right away so we can be sure you find the right international partner for you!

On this page, we will get you started with the application process. For further assistance, please send us an email or call us at (504) 280-6388.

NOTE: Students must be aware of the local deadlines and academic calendar for the schools to which they are applying. Most have academic calendars that differ widely from the UNO academic calendar. Also, deadlines for different institutions can be quite different, and students are responsible for adhering to those deadlines.


  • March 15 for Fall semesters
  • October 15 for Spring semesters
  • Partner institution deadlines may differ. Once you have chosen your program, check their web site for deadlines and requirements.


In order to participate, students must: 

  • Be enrolled at UNO as a degree-seeking student
  • Have at least 3 full-time semesters of university study prior to participation
  • Have at least a 2.5 GPA
  • Have the required language proficiency depending upon exchange program

Get Started



Apply online

  • Click here to start your study abroad application.
  • Once you have entered the Year and Session, please select the Program "ISEP International Outgoing Student Exchange You will need the confirmation ID from this application in order to proceed to the next step.
  • There is a $200.00 non-refundable fee required to complete this application. If you are not certain which partner institution is right for you, come talk to us as soon as possible!
Upload your photo

You will be emailed a link to upload your photo after you apply. Be sure it's an ID-style photo (like a passport photo). You may use any camera you like.

Upload a copy of the title page of your passport

Click here to upload a copy of the title page of your passport. If you do not currently have a passport, tell us and we will not delay in processing your application. Just be sure to APPLY NOW, and upload it once you get it.

Submit the required Documents

  • Letter of intent (a 1-page, typed letter of intent stating why you wish to participate in an international exchange. Include information about pertinent topics, such as your current field of study, courses you would like to take while abroad, etc.)
  • Your current official transcript, obtainable from the Registrar's office.
  • Two (2) letters of recommendation
    • Both should be from professors, and should speak to your readiness to participate in this program (i.e., academic accomplishments, study habits, maturity level, reliability)
    • Should your chosen exchange program require proficiency in a foreign language, one letter may be from a language professor who should also address your language proficiency levels in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
    • We accept letters in the following formats: 1) a letter in a sealed envelope 2) an email sent directly from the professor 3) a form filled out first by the student, and then by the professor (click here to download). Please DO NOT ask to have a letter AND a form. Note: letters are preferred, but if your recommender does not have the time, you can use our form.
Make an appointment with the ISEP staff

All applicants must have discussed their choices with ISEP staff by the time this application is submitted. If you haven't, make an appointment NOW by emailing

NOTE: your application will be considered only after all of the documents listed above have been submitted and you have had an appointment with ISEP staff.

After You Have Been Accepted

Make appointments with your advisors

Every student should not only consult with your individual academic and financial aid advisors, but also with Dr. John Hazlett,, the Academic Advisor for all exchange students.

Fill out the Enrollment Verification Form

This form is to help with the credit transfer process. Please read our Registration & Credit page for more information here.

Fill out the application form for your host institution

You will either receive this from the ISEP office, or from the host institution after you have been officially nominated by UNO.

Fill out the Medical History Report

This form does not require you to visit a doctor. It is basic health information reported by you to us, and is secure and kept confidential, on file, in case of an emergency. Click here to access the form..

Organize your next phase

Once you have been admitted to the partner institution, you will need to manage several aspects at once:

  • Keep track of what you have to do for the host institution (submit documents, sign up for housing, etc.)
  • Keep track of what you still have to do for us (i.e., enrollment verification form, discussions with academic and financial aid advisors)
  • Be sure to keep up with Webstar and payments to UNO (set reminders for after you will be overseas so that you don't forget)
  • Obtain your student visa (because your stay in your host country is longer than 3 months and you will be a student, you must (in most countries) apply for a long-stay visa (also called a student visa or residency permit). Usually, students must apply at the closest consular or embassy office in the United States. So, for example, students going to France must apply in Houston.
  • Make sure you read our advice on what to do before you leave