Student Health Insurance


Important Information

Important Documents

Policy number: 2017-701-76

Enrollment Form

All students enrolled at UNO have access to Student Health Services, regardless of whether or not they have insurance of any kind. However, we only provide primary care. In order to provide access to specialist care, emergency room, and other services, Student Health Services arranges for an optional low-cost injury and sickness insurance policy.

It is the responsibility of the student to become familiar with the policy and use it properly should he/she decide to purchase it. UNO does not adjudicate claims nor does it intercede in claim disputes. Questions regarding claims or enrollment should be addressed to the insurance company. Please read the policy carefully including the exclusions and call the insurance company with any questions.

It is very important to keep the insurance company (and UNO) abreast of any changes in your address. Relevant contact information is listed below.

Costs & Dates of Coverage


Dates of Coverage Annual
Student Costs $1,995.00 $836.00 $1,195.00 $399.00

For pricing and enrollment regarding spouses, domestic partners and children, please visit UnitedHealthcare.

IELP Students have different prices based on different session dates. Please see the IELP advisor for these rates. Please note that Spring semester automatically includes the summer session.

Student Insurance Plan - Enrollment Details

Voluntary enrollments can be done by online enrollment process (UnitedHealthcare StudentResources). If you wish to pay with a credit card you may use enroll now link. If you wish to pay with a check, download the enrollment form, fill it out and sign it, and send it in with your payment. Enrollment forms are also available in Student Health Services (UC 238). You may enroll annually or by semester (Spring semester automatically includes the Summer session whether or not you are taking classes). For pricing and enrollment regarding spouses, domestic partners and children, please visit UnitedHealthcare.

Spouses and children are also eligible for enrollment. Enrollment and benefit questions may be addressed at (800) 767-0700.

Successful enrollees receive a confirmation of coverage via e-mail immediately after enrollment and a card is issued within three days. Online enrollments are added to the eligibility system at the end of each business day.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to buy the insurance in order to come to UNO Student Health Services?

No! Any UNO student may access Student Health Services at any time, regardless of insurance status. We are a primary care clinic, and the student health insurance plan provides access to services we don’t provide, such as specialist visits, emergency room, ambulance, x-rays, and more.

What kind of a plan is it?

The plan is a Student Injury and Sickness insurance plan underwritten by United HealthCare. There is no overall maximum dollar limit on the policy. The plan uses the United HealthCare PPO (Preferred Provider Organization) network.

What are the enrollment cut off dates?

The enrollment cut off dates are 21 days out from the first day of classes for the Annual, Fall, and Spring/Summer. If a student enrolls in the insurance plan at any time after the effective date of the plan and before the cut off date, the student’s coverage will begin the day of purchase.

Fall and Annual Enrollment cut off date: September 7, 2017

Spring/Summer Enrollment cut off date: February 7, 2018

When I graduate, does my coverage expire?

When a student graduates, he/she remains covered until the end of the coverage period for which they enrolled. For this reason, if you are graduating in December for example, your coverage will remain in effect until 8/19 if you bought the plan annually. This is a good idea in order to have coverage while you are looking for a job or are in transition. Also, often employer coverage takes a few months to take effect.

If the student requests to be insured beyond that date, there is a continuation plan identical to the plan he/she is currently enrolled. This plan is designed to meet the insurance needs of those students and dependents who no longer meet the eligibility requirements of the University.

How can I tell if I am covered or have a problem?

If the student has enrolled in the program and has any doubt whether they are covered, he/she should contact the Customer Service department, toll free, at 800-767-0700. Callers are able to access information pertaining to their Effective dates of Eligibility, Claim Status, Claim History, Claim Detail, address information and FAQs. Another option is to send an e-mail to:

What will I receive to prove I have coverage?

Students who enroll in the student health insurance will receive an ID card as proof of coverage. You may also download one from the company webpage once you’ve enrolled.

Will I get a copy of my insurance policy?

You may access and download the full brochure electronically from UnitedHealthcare Student Resources. A PDF of the schedule of benefits is available from Student Health Services.

Does the insurance use a PPO (Preferred Provider Organization)?

Yes it does. This is very important to use in order to access the maximum available benefits. A PPO is a network of health care providers who agree to accept the insurance. Most hospitals and physicians in the New Orleans area are on the UHC PPO.

To access the list, simply go to, pull up the UNO page, and in there you will find the PPO link, called PPO Options; follow instructions to pull up your desired information. In order to avoid out of network costs, we strongly recommend finding a health care provider on the PPO when and where possible. This PPO is national, and the insurance has benefits for international health care services.

Are there any deductibles?

Yes, there is a $100 (per injured person, per policy year) deductible when using Preferred Providers and a $200 (per injured person, per policy year) deductible when you visit an out-of-network provider.

So, after I pay the deductible, are there any other expenses I have to pay?

The deductible will be waived and benefits will be paid at 100% when treatment is provided at the UNO Student Health Center. Preventative Care Services (including, but not limited to annual physicals, GYN Exams, routine screenings, and immunizations are paid at 100% of Preferred Allowance when you go to a Preferred Provider.

United Healthcare pays 80% of Preferred Allowance for covered medical expenses when you visit a Preferred Provider and 60% of usual and customary charges for covered medical expenses when you visit an Out-of-Network Provider. Please see the Plan for details.

Can I get a refund?

As a general rule, refunds are limited to those conditions where the student enters the Armed Forces.

What is the pharmacy benefit?

100% of usual and customary charges are covered for both Preferred Providers and Out-of Network Providers. It is available by reimbursement, that is, the student buys the product at the pharmacy and submits a form and receipts for reimbursement. The student is reimbursed everything except the co-pay. The reimbursement form is available at The co-pay is $20 for the generic, and $45 for the brand name product up to a 31-day supply per prescription. The benefit includes birth control pills. Please read the plan and exclusions for additional details.

How do I get a new ID card if I can’t find mine?

The company website allows you to request an additional ID card to be mailed to you when needed. In addition, you can access the web to generate a .pdf of your ID card to print out and be used immediately.

Do I have to use the student health service at my school? What do I do if I am ill or in an accident?

Federal regulations allow a student to go anywhere for their care. We do recommend using Student Health Services for regular and routine care. The student health service at UNO is designed to provide health care services to the student at little or no cost to and thus reserves insurance cost allowances for emergencies and specialist care and procedures. In addition it is convenient and often students are seen quicker than if they were to call a private physician. Just call 280-6387 to make an appointment. IELP students may use UNO Student Health Services.

If the clinic is closed, or on weekends or holidays for example, urgent care centers are our recommended alternative if it’s not an emergency. If it is an emergency, then go straight to the emergency room.

What should I do if I am traveling or go abroad?

If you are a student insured with this insurance plan, you and your insured spouse or Domestic Partner and minor child(ren) are eligible for UnitedHealthcare Global.

International Students, insured spouse or Domestic Partner and insured minor child(ren): You are eligible to receive UnitedHealthcare Global services worldwide, except in your home country.

Domestic Students, insured spouse or Domestic Partner and insured minor child(ren): You are eligible to receive UnitedHealthcare Global services when 100 miles or more away from your campus address and 100 miles or more away from your permanent home address or while participating in a study abroad program.

The Emergency Medical Evacuation services are not meant to be used in lieu of or replace local emergency services such as an ambulance requested through emergency 911 telephone assistance. All services must be arranged and provided by UnitedHealthcare Global; any service not arranged by UnitedHealthcare Global will not be considered for payment.

This insurance includes, but is not limited to: benefits for repatriation of remains, emergency medical evacuation, transfer of insurance information to medical providers, dispatch of doctors/specialists, transportation after stabilization, replacement of lost or stolen travel documents, etc. For a full list of services, please refer to the UnitedHealthcareGlobal website.

To access services, call or email:
Toll-free within the US: 1-800-527-0218
Collect outside the US: 1-410-453-6330

Are ambulance services covered?

Yes! Ambulance services are covered by the preferred allowance.

What if I have a question or problem?

Call to speak to a Customer Service Representative during business hours M-F 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM CST at 1-800-767-0700. Additionally, the school’s plan documents are available at We recommend setting up a My Account function in order to track and see the status of any claim.

What if I’m a UNO athlete or play intramurals?

This insurance excludes injuries sustained from playing or training for intercollegiate sports. Intramural sports are covered. UNO athletes are provided with the opportunity to purchase their own health and accident insurance. For details, please contact UNO Athletics and/or your coach. International students who are also athletes do not need to carry both insurances; they may have this insurance deleted from their fee bill as long as the supplanting policy meets the minimum federal requirements. Please see your ISO advisor.

For F and J International Students and IELP Students Only

UNO requires international students in F and J status to have health insurance based on requirements established by the Department of State. F and J students are automatically billed for the UNO health insurance policy each semester. Students may have the charge removed by presenting verification of equivalent coverage from another insurance company. Requests for waivers must be submitted to the Office of International Students and Scholars (International Center Rm 131, 280-5530) no later than the 5th class day.

Additional information regarding insurance waiver request requirements and procedures is available at This insurance may also be purchased by J-1 scholars, F-1 students on Optional Practical Training (OPT), and J-1 students on Academic Training.

International students who opt to provide their own insurance may purchase the repatriation and medical evacuation benefits separately. The enrollment form is in the UNO page of the company webpage,

Important contact information: The plan is underwritten and administered by United HealthCare Insurance Company.

Submit all claims and appeals to:

United Healthcare Student Resources

P.O. Box 809025
Dallas, Texas 75380-9025