The Office of Service Learning seeks to work in collaboration with community partners, recognizing the skills and knowledge that community partners possess. Community partners serve as co-educators and provide on-site, significant experiences for University of New Orleans students. We understand that working with a community partner requires building a reciprocal relationship. Partnerships are formed in an effort to share resources, including skills and expertise, in order to strengthen impact and address a community need.
Work with UNO Students
Our community partners work with students as co-educators and offer opportunities to develop leadership skills, critical thinking, ethical reasoning skills, multicultural knowledge as well as skills in engaging local and global communities.
As a community partner, you will contribute to the education and preparation of engaged citizens.
Serving as a co-educator and partner in a UNO student’s education provides an opportunity to educate students about current issues and challenges in the community and increases your volunteer resources. UNO students will combine their course knowledge and academic experiences to complete significant service learning projects while working with a community partner.
Community Partners agree to provide a safe working environment for students that values physical safety, diversity, open and clear communication, and equality. Community partners recognize that they are co-educators and agree to provide meaningful projects for the student based on the stated project goals and expected outcomes.
Community partners should not provide opportunities that require students to be involved in certain activities. These activities include:
- drive a vehicle as part of their responsibilities;
- attempt to influence legislation;
- prophesy or promote a particular religious doctrine;
- support a political issue or candidate;
- organize or engage in protests, petitions, boycotts, or strikes;
- assist in promoting or deterring union activity;
- participate in activities that pose a significant safety risk to participants;
- perform any paid service activities (without permission of the UNO SLICE).