Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)


New Student's FERPA policy can be found here.

Notification of Your Rights Under "FERPA"

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) afford you certain rights with respect to your education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review your education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

    You should submit to the Registrar written requests that identify the record(s) you wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify you of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, he or she will advise you of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of your education records that you believe are inaccurate or misleading.

    You may ask the University to amend a record that you believe is inaccurate or misleading. You should write the Registrar, clearly identify the part of the record you want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

    If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by you, the University will notify you of the decision and advise you of your right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedure will be provided to you when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes without consent.

    One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University/ULS System in a administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Supervisors; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.

    A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.

    Upon request, the University discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which you may seek or intend to enroll.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the US Department of Education concerning alleged failures by this University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    US Department of Education
    600 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605
  5. Absent presentation of a valid court order establishing otherwise, either parent of a dependent child, as defined in Sectin 152 of the Internal Revenue Code, may exercise the rights provided uder this policy. In addition to the procedures set forth herin, the parents of a dependent child must provide documentation to verify the dependent status of the child whose records are sought.

Withholding Directory Information

The University of New Orleans does not normally disclose Directory Information. However, at its discretion, it may provide directory information in accordance with the provision of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, to include:

  • your name
  • address
  • e-mail address
  • telephone listing
  • photograph
  • date and place of birth
  • dates of enrollment
  • college in which enrolled
  • classification
  • major degree(s) earned
  • awards
  • participation in officially
    recognized activities and sports
  • weight and height of members of athletic teams
  • and the most recent previous educational
    agency or institution attended by you


To request non-disclosure of Directory Information, you should complete a form in the Registrar's Office (Privateer Enrollment Center). It will remain in effect until canceled in writing by you. Please allow five days for processing.