Financial Aid

The Office of Enrollment Services is responsible for processing financial aid programs, including Federal Grants, Federal Direct Student Loans, Scholarships, and Student Employment (part-time campus work). Students interested in receiving financial aid should first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and be accepted for admission to the university. A list of many deadlines and helpful information about financing your UNO education is available from the Office of Student Financial Aid or online at This office will evaluate each student’s eligibility based upon information received from the Federal Student Aid Center, in accordance with the financial aid policy below.
Information about student aid, the FAFSA, and other financial aid forms may be obtained either from the Office of Student Financial Aid, University of New Orleans, in the Privateer Enrollment Center, located in the Earl K. Long Library - First Floor, New Orleans, LA 70148 or from the UNO website

Financial Aid Policy 

A student must be admitted into the University as a degree seeking student in an eligible curriculum to be considered for financial aid and meet ALL Federal, State, and Institutional requirements. 

In determining the eligibility for financial assistance, the Office of Student Financial Aid is guided by the data supplied by the parents and/or student on the FAFSA. The University uses the following mandated formula to determine a student's eligibility for Title IV Federal Financial Aid programs.

Cost of Attendance (COA) – Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Financial Need

The term Cost of Attendance (COA) refers to an estimate of total expenses that students may incur while attending school for the academic year, including direct institutional costs (tuition, fees, books etc.) as well as indirect costs. Your actual direct cost should not be confused with your federal financial aid cost of attendance.

The EFC is a number that is determined by the information reported on your FAFSA. The EFC is calculated according to a formula established by federal law. Your family's taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security) will be considered in the formula. Also considered are your family size and the number of family members who will attend college or career school during the year.

The University attempts to provide the difference between the Cost of Attendance and the Expected Family Contribution. Financial Aid packages cannot exceed the student's Cost of Attendance.

On approximately May 1 of each award year is the priority deadline date for processing of financial aid. Students interested in participating in one of the federal or state student financial assistance programs at UNO (Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal College Work-Study Program, Louisiana GO Grant, Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership Grant, Federal Perkins Loan, or the Federal Direct Program [i.e., Federal Direct Subsidized, Federal Direct Unsubsidized, Federal Grad Plus and Federal Direct Parent Loans] MUST file a completed FAFSA. Forms may be obtained from high school counselors, the UNO Office of Student Financial Aid, or online at Students must complete the FAFSA each year in which they are enrolled! The FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA is generally made available January 1st of each year.

When students are awarded aid, they are "packaged financial aid" annually for the Fall and Spring semesters, combined. Students wishing to attend the Summer semester may apply for residual aid that was not used during the Fall and Spring semesters or additional available funding by completing a Summer Financial Aid Request Form. The Summer Request Form is made available on March 15th of each year. Subsequent annual award packages are based upon the data supplied on the Renewal FAFSA and upon the student making Satisfactory Academic Progress. A copy of the university’s Satisfactory Academic Progress policy may be obtained from the Office of Student Financial Aid or online at

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy

Federal regulations require all students receiving Title IV Financial Aid to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Title IV Financial Aid Programs include: Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH), Perkins, Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan, Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, PLUS and GRAD PLUS Loans, and Work-Study.

To meet the SAP requirements for federal aid, students must meet the standards indicated below at the end of each semester:

  • Students must earn a minimum GPA (qualitative measure),
  • Students must successfully complete a minimum percentage of credits (quantitative measure), and,
  • Students must be able to graduate within a maximum timeframe.


Courses/Credits which have been granted scholastic amnesty are still reviewed for SAP. Failure to meet any of the SAP requirements will result in a loss of eligibility for federal financial aid.

Qualitative Measure of Progress (GPA Requirement)

The qualitative requirement defines the minimum GPA that must be earned at the end of each semester. An incomplete grade (I-grades) will be treated as an "F" for the purpose of SAP. Repeated courses will be included in the GPA calculation, but grade suspended courses will not be included in the GPA calculation. New transfer students should note that effective Summer 2013, quality points (grades) from other schools will not be used in the cumulative GPA for UNO's SAP review. A UNO student must maintain the following cumulative GPA at the end of each semester:

Minimum Cumulative GPA
Undergraduate Students 2.0 or higher
Post Baccalaureate Students 2.0 or higher
Graduate Students 3.0 or higher

Quantitative Measure of Progress (Pace & Maximum Timeframe Limit)

The quantitative requirement contains two components, Pace and Maximum Timeframe. All credit hours/courses attempted at UNO are counted in the attempted/earned calculation, including scholastic amnesty credits, remedial courses, and courses assigned a W, I, AU, XF, UW, P/S/U, NG, F. Transfer credit hours/courses attempted at a regionally accredited school will count in the Pace and Maximum Timeframe. Repeated and grade suspended courses will be counted each time a student attempts the course, however, the course can be counted only once for earned credit towards the degree. A UNO student must meet the following Pace and Maximum Timeframe requirements at the end of each semester:

  • All students must successfully earn credit for 70% of the courses attempted at UNO.
  • Students transferring into UNO must have successfully completed 70% of the courses/credits attempted at regionally accredited schools.
Maximum Time Frame Limit
  • All undergraduate students who have not officially graduated with their first baccalaureate degree must be able to complete their primary degree at UNO within 180 attempted hours regardless of the number of majors.
  • Post baccalaureate students may receive their eligible federal aid award up to 225 attempted hours, which will include all courses/credits pursued as an undergraduate student.
  • Graduate students maximum timeframe limit is based on individual program of study.


Find maximum timeframe for federal aid based on program at

All questions pertaining to student financial aid should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Aid. Office of Student Financial Aid, University of New Orleans, in the Privateer Enrollment Center, located in the Earl K. Long Library - First Floor, New Orleans, LA 70148 or from the UNO website;


Federal Pell Grants are available to eligible undergraduates who have not yet attained a bachelor’s degree. The maximum amount of the grant will be set by the U.S. Department of Education based on congressional appropriations. The actual amount of the grant is determined by the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Eligible students can only receive Federal Pell Grant funding up to 6 years (600%).

To determine how much of the maximum six years (600%) of Pell Grant a student has used each year, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) compares the actual amount the student received for the award year with the scheduled award amount for that award year. If the student receives the full amount of their scheduled award, they will have used 100%. It is possible students may not receive an entire scheduled award for an award year. There are a number of reasons for this, the most common of which are that they are not enrolled for the full year or that they are not enrolled full-time, or both.

If a student did not receive the full amount of a scheduled award, the percentage of the scheduled award that was received is calculated.   For example, if the student's scheduled award for an award year is $5,000, but because they were enrolled for only one semester they received only $2,500, and thus would have received 50% of the scheduled award for that award year.

Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU): ED keeps track of a student's LEU by adding together the percentages of their Pell Grant scheduled awards that were received for each award year.

Louisiana Go Grant

Eligibility for the Louisiana Go Grant, students must:

  • Be a Louisiana Resident;*
  • File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
  • Receive a federal Pell grant or a financial need grant;
  • Have remaining financial need after deducting Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and all federal/state/institutional grant or scholarship aid ("gift aid") from student's Cost of Attendance (COA);
  • Be a student enrolled in an eligible Louisiana institution as of the 14th class day on at least a half-time basis (minimum 6 hours at semester school or 4 hours at a quarter school).


Award Amounts - Louisiana Go Grant**

Award amounts to eligible students are based on the institution's allocation and their packaging policy. Awards may vary with each academic year. Awards will not be paid for Summers sessions, quarters or terms.

Renewal Requirements  - Louisiana Go Grant

  • Must file a FAFSA or the Renewal FAFSA at least annually;
  • Continue to receive a Federal Pell Grant;
  • Have remaining financial need after deducting Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) and all federal/state/institutional grant or scholarship aid ("gift aid") from student's Cost of Attendance (COA).
  • The Award can be renewed for subsequent years to a maximum lifetime award that correlates to that of the Federal Pell Grant.

*Residency Requirements – Louisiana Go Grant

A student must be a Louisiana resident as of the day the FAFSA is filed and Louisiana is the student's true and fixed domicile as reported on the FAFSA. If a student's state of residence on the FAFSA is not reported as Louisiana, but a dependent student claims that a non-custodial parent is a Louisiana resident, or that parents are Louisiana residents living out of state, Louisiana Office of student financial assistance (LOSFA) will determine residency based on the completion, by the parents, of a residency affidavit.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

FSEOG grants are available to degree seeking undergraduate students who have not yet attained a bachelor's degree. The amount of the award is based upon availability of funds and must be given to the UNO students with the most need, according to the Estimated Family Contribution as determined by the FAFSA.

Teach Grant 

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program which awards grants to students who intend to teach.

The TEACH Grant recipient's obligation is to serve as a highly qualified, full-time teacher in a high-need subject area for at least four years within eight years of finishing the program at a school serving low-income students/families )(see important note below).

IMPORTANT NOTE: Recipients who do not complete their teaching obligation will have to repay the TEACH Grants as if the grants were a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, with interest accruing from the time the grant was disbursed.

These are the initial requirements to be considered to participate in the Teach Grant program:

  1. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at You do not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the TEACH grant program;
  2. Students must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen;
  3. Students must be enrolled as a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate student in the College of Education, in a major/program that is necessary to begin a career in teaching in a high-need subject area. (GCTEP, GPTEP, Post Baccalaureate and Doctoral students cannot qualify for the TEACH Grant
  4. Students must meet the following academic achievement requirements:
    1. Score above the 75th percentile on one of the following college. Admission's tests SAT, ACT for undergraduate students and GRE for graduate students.
    2. Have a Cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 on a 4.0 scale, and maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 throughout their academic program for which they receive a TEACH Grant.
    3. Complete TEACH Grant online counseling each year.
  5. Sign an Agreement to Serve and Promise to Pay (ATS) each year with the U.S. Department of Education.

Award Amounts for Teach Grants

The TEACH Grant Program provides eligible undergraduate students up to $4,000.00* per year ($16,000.00* maximum eligibility). Graduate students are also eligible for up to $4,000.00* per year ($8,000.00* maximum eligibility). Eligible students will have funds disbursed based on the number of hours enrolled during each semester, as of the 14th day of class.

*The Budget Control Act of 2011 is now in effect and award amounts for any TEACH Grant that is disbursed after March 1, 2013 must be reduced by 6.0 percent from the award amount for which a recipient would otherwise have been eligible. For example, the maximum award of $4,000 is reduced by $240, resulting in a maximum award amount of $3,760.

For additional information regarding the TEACH Grant program, you may go online at , or contact the U.S. Department of Education at 1-800-4FEDAID (800/433-3243) or contact our office at If you have already completed your 2013-2014 FAFSA and did not indicate you were interested in this program, please complete the ATS with the Federal Dept. of Education to initiate the eligibility review process by our office.


Several loan programs are available to students at UNO. These loan programs operate with the understanding that the student will repay the borrowed amount under the terms of the loan.

Loans are available to students from the Federal Direct Student Loan Program, the Federal Perkins Loan Program and the Federal Direct GRAD Plus Program. Parents of dependent students may also apply for the Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Parents. Additional information about this program may be viewed at You may also inquire about other financial aid programs and/or alternative student loans with the Office of Student Financial Aid.

Federal Direct Loan Program

Federal Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student’s education after high school. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education rather than a bank.

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans

Eligibility for Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans is based on the information reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). No interest is charged on subsidized loans while a student is enrolled at least half-time, during a student's grace (period after graduation), and during deferment periods. Interest is charged on unsubsidized loans during all periods.

If a student is a first-time borrower on or after July 1, 2013, there is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) they may receive Direct Subsidized Loans. This time limit does not apply to Direct Unsubsidized Loans or Direct PLUS Loans. If this limit applies to the student, they may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150 percent of the published length of their Program of Study. This is called a "maximum eligibility period." A student's maximum eligibility period is based on the published length of their current Program of Study. For example, if a student is enrolled in a four-year bachelor's degree program, the maximum period for which they can receive Direct Subsidized Loans is six years (150 percent of 4 years = 6 years).

Because a student's maximum eligibility period is based on the length of their current Program of Study, the maximum eligibility period can change if the student changes to a Program of Study that has a different length. Also, if the student receives Direct Subsidized Loans for one Program of Study and then change to another Program of Study, the Direct Subsidized Loans received for the earlier program will count toward the student's maximum eligibility period.

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans are available to most students who are enrolled at least half-time and who meet certain qualifications. A Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford loan is awarded to undergraduate students that demonstrate federal financial need. The Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan are loan funds in which the student does not demonstrate federal financial need and the student is responsible for the interest payment on this loan program while the student is in school. Loans are made in amounts up to $3,500 for freshman, $4,500 for sophomores, and up to $5,500 for juniors and seniors. Graduate students are eligible to apply for up to $20,500 per academic year - depending on the Cost of Attendance - Effective July 1, 2012, Graduate students are only eligible for the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Federal PLUS - (NO Subsidized Loan funds).

Independent and dependent students may apply for additional Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan funds in amounts between $2,000 - $7,000 (depending on student’s dependency status and classification) and up to $20,500 for graduate students (depending on student’s Cost of Attendance).  There are both annual and aggregate loan limits for these programs.

Students are required to complete an Entrance Counseling Interview and a Federal Direct Master Promissory Note (MPN) before a loan can be disbursed.  A Master Promissory Note and an Entrance Counseling must be completed ( to receive the Stafford Loan.  Repayment of student loans is not required while the student is enrolled in school at least half-time.  The student may choose to defer their interest payment on a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan – this request can be indicated on the Mater Promissory Note.  Students should read all information provided about the terms and conditions of a Federal Direct Student Loan prior to accepting a loan or signing a promissory note.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans

Federal Direct PLUS Loans are low-interest loans available to parents of dependent students and to graduate and professional degree students. Interest is charged during all periods. This program requires a credit check to confirm credit worthiness. Eligible parents can obtain additional funding to help pay the cost of educational expenses for their dependent undergraduate child(ren). It is required that the student file the FAFSA before applying for this program. The eligibility amount is determined by a Financial Aid Administrator.

Federal Direct GRAD Plus

Federal Direct GRAD Plus is a loan program designed for Graduate/Professional students to obtain educational financial assistance in addition to the Stafford Loan Program.  This program requires a credit check to confirm credit worthiness.  A student must complete the FAFSA to be considered and the eligibility amount is determined by a Financial Aid Administrator.

Campus-Based Loan Program

Federal Perkins Loans 

Federal Perkins Loans are available to qualifying students based upon availability of funds. No repayment is due and no interest is charged as long as the student is attending school in at least half-time enrollment. After the student has left the University or drops below half-time status, he or she must begin repaying the loan after the nine (9) month grace period at an interest rate of five (5) percent per year.  In order for the funds to disburse, a student must complete a Perkins Promissory Note at Please contact the Federal Perkins Loan Coordinator, at 504-280-6506 or

Student Employment (Federal College Work-Study/Budget Work-Study)

Many departments and other areas  of the University employ students (Federal or Budget) in part-time jobs on campus. Such employment must be approved by the Office of Student Financial Aid. All part-time jobs provide basic equity in the rates paid students for similar jobs within the University. The rate paid depends on the nature of the work, the student’s classification in college, and his or her skills and previous work experience.

There are a limited number of Student Employment opportunities. Students expressing an interest in student employment, who enroll in classes and meet the employment requirements, must be interviewed by the various colleges/departments in which the student will potentially be placed. The interview and hiring process must be completed and approved prior to hiring/the student's start date. Therefore, an applicant should not assume that they will automatically be placed in a position.

Federal College Work-Study Program

Federal Work-Study students may hold only one part-time job at UNO, and he or she must be enrolled at least half-time during the regular semester, and must be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

The Federal Work-Study Program is a campus-based program which provides on-campus and off-campus part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students who demonstrate financial need. This self-help aid program allows students to earn money to assist in paying for educational expenses, while allowing students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience. Eligibility is based on financial information furnished in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which is a part of the Federal College Work-Study Program application. Students are awarded in the order in which the funds are available.

Budgeted Work-Study Program

Budgeted student workers are paid out of the budget of the department in which they are employed, and the funds are not applied towards the student's financial aid package.

Students interested in Budgeted Work Study campus employment should contact the various departments on campus immediately after enrolling so interviews may be arranged with supervisors. Students may also view some available part time job postings at

Scholarships and Fee Exemptions

The University of New Orleans has a long-standing tradition of pride in the academic ability of its students. The University has demonstrated its commitment to excellence by establishing a growing number of scholarship opportunities for students and transfer students. Each year, academic scholarships are awarded to assist students in obtaining their first bachelor degree. These scholarships are awarded on the basis of outstanding high school academic accomplishments, strong standardized test scores, class rank, and achievements in leadership and community service. Freshmen admitted to the University for the Fall semester are granted full consideration for scholarships if they complete an Application for Undergraduate Admissions by priority deadline of January 15. To receive consideration for a scholarship, students must complete the Admissions application and qualify fully for admission. A separate application is not required for consideration.

The scholarship must be used for university-related expenses (tuition, dormitory room, meal or book/supplies). 

Please note: Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee a scholarship. Scholarships are awarded based upon availability and funding.

Scholarship renewal is guaranteed if the student successfully meets the retention requirements as outlined in their scholarship guidelines. The award will automatically be credited to the student's account. Most freshman scholarships are renewable for up to four years or graduation, whichever comes first. Transfer scholarships are generally renewable for up to two years or graduation, whichever comes first. Institutional scholarships can be used during the Fall and Spring semesters only.  They cannot be used during the Summer semester.

A student may use only one fee-exemption or tuition-based scholarship during any semester or Summer term, but generally may hold a cash-award scholarship concurrently with a fee-exemption.

A student automatically forfeits an award upon failure to meet the required retention guidelines for any given award, upon failure to claim the award for any semester, upon resignation during a semester, or upon being dropped from the rolls of the University.

Additional information and applications for scholarships and fee-exemptions are available from the Enrollment Services Offices of Student Financial Aid and Admissions.

The University of New Orleans reserves the right to modify the policy that governs these awards.

Gaining and Maintaining Scholarship Eligibility

Students must qualify fully for admission to UNO to be eligible for a scholarship award and must remain in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university to retain their scholarships. The Scholarships can be used for the Fall and Spring semesters only. For specific renewal requirements, student should refer to their scholarship rules and regulations or contact the Enrollment Services Student Financial Aid and Scholarships Unit. 

Scholarships for First Year Students

Homer Hitt Scholarship*

This scholarship is the institution's most prestigious scholarship providing tuition, residence hall room, board plan, and a $500 annual book stipend for students. Out-of-state students will also receive an out-of-state fee waiver. There are 100 Homer Hitt Scholarships that will be awarded annually. The minimum criteria for consideration is a 30 ACT (1340 SAT) and a 3.5 GPA. Consideration is automatic with the submission of a completed admissions application.

UNO Excellence, UNO Blue, and UNO Silver Scholarships

For Louisiana residents, scholarships are available from $1000 to $2,000 per year. The minimum requirements for the consideration are 24 ACT (1110 SAT) and 2.75 GPA. Consideration is automatic with the submission of a completed admissions application.

Privateer First Year Scholarship*

For students living outside Louisiana, scholarships are available to waive out-of-state fees. The minimum requirements for the consideration are 23 ACT (1060 SAT) and 2.5 GPA. Consideration is automatic with the submission of a completed admissions application.

Residence Hall Scholarship*

For students who will be receiving for one of above awards and who will be living in UNO campus housing, scholarships are available for $2,000 towards their first year of housing. Consideration is automatic with the submission of a completed admissions application.

Valedictorian Scholarship

For students that are valedictorian of their class, scholarships are available for $1,000 to be used in addition to the above awards. Upon graduation, students will provide verification to the Office of Enrollment Services for consideration.

Scholarships for Transfer Students

Crescent City Scholarship

For Louisiana residents, scholarships are available for $2,000 per year. The minimum requirements for consideration are 3.0 transfer GPA and at least 24–90 earned hours. Consideration is automatic with the submission of a completed admissions application.

Privateer Transfer Scholarship*

For students living outside Louisiana, scholarships are available to waive out-of-state fees. The minimum requirements for consideration are 3.0 transfer GPA and at least 24–90 earned hours. Consideration is automatic with the submission of a completed admissions application.

Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship

In addition to the above awards, transfer students who are members of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society are eligible to receive an additional $500 per year. Students will provide verification to the Office of Enrollment Services for consideration.

* Transfer students shall be defined as having 24 or more semester hours of transferable college course work completed including a college level English and Math. Transfer students with less than 24 hours must meet both transfer and freshman requirements, provide ACT/SAT scores, and will be awarded the appropriate freshman award.

Performance and Special Focus Awards 

Music, FTCA, Fine Art, NOCCA

The University of New Orleans provides funding to students who exhibit special talent in the visual and performing arts or who are a part of special designated educational cohort groups. These awards vary in value and are awarded through the different focus areas.  Out-of-state students may receive appropriate level of out-of-state fee waivers based on their academic credentials.  Students wishing to be considered must complete and meet the normal scholarship application process outlined above, but may also be required to submit supplementary information or agree to a performance-related audition.  (Before a student is awarded, the student must meet the normal admissions requirements and be accepted into the University.)

Elysian Ensemble Service Award in Music

A $300 scholarship is available to be awarded to students at the end of a semester for participation in either the Classical or the Jazz Division of the Department of Music’s Ensemble groups. For details, please contact the Music Department.

Continuing Student Achievement Award 

The prestigious Continuing Student Achievement Award is designed to recognize and financially assist undergraduate students, who are excelling academically, in obtaining one undergraduate degree. The award is for the academic year - Fall and Spring semesters only. (On a case by case basis, some exceptions are made to award during the Spring semester up to funding level. For details, contact the Scholarship Office at

Additional Scholarship Opportunities

Children of UNO Alumni Scholarship*

Students living outside Louisiana who meet admission requirements and have a parent that graduated from UNO are eligible for an out of state fee waiver.

Graduates of UNO Scholarship

Students who are US residents that are UNO graduates who continue pursuing their next higher degree at UNO are eligible for an out of state fee waiver. Students should contact the Office of Enrollment Services for verification.

Hanks/Logsdon Endowed Scholarships 

Offered by Mr. Carl E. Muckley, an alumnus of the University of New Orleans these two scholarship programs honor two UNO professors who were instrumental in his educational experience at UNO. The scholarships, known as the Dr. Donald K. Hanks Endowed Scholarship Fund in Philosophy and the Dr. Joseph Logsdon Endowed Scholarship Fund in History, will provide senior students majoring in philosophy and history with scholarship and book expense support. The grade-point average maintained by each of the potential scholarship recipients and their financial need shall be the major factors in selecting the recipients for the philosophy and history scholarships. Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Chairs of the Departments of Philosophy and History with the assistance of the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and others as deemed appropriate by the Chairs and the Dean. For information, please contact the Chairs of the Departments of Philosophy and History.

James W. Ellis High School Honor Scholarships

Award: The cost of one three-credit course. Eligibility Requirements: Students must have completed the junior year of high school, be recommended by the high school principal or counselor, have an overall 'B' average for all high school grades, and have a composite ACT score of 25 or higher (28 for full-time). Awards are limited and are based upon funds availability.

Privately Funded Scholarships

Scholarships awarded by outside agencies are administered according to the rules and regulations prescribed by the donors as accepted by the UL System.

Polly and Theriot Baudean Memorial Scholarship Fund

Open to eligible freshman student applicants who intend to major in either Communications or English and who graduated from Higgins or other West Bank Jefferson Parish public high schools. This scholarship provides tuition and book expense support. Potential scholarship recipient(s) shall have maintained at least a 3.0 grade-point average on a four-point scale in high school and have achieved a composite score not lower than 25 on the ACT in order to qualify for scholarship consideration. Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts with assistance from the Chairs of the Departments of Communications and English. For information, please contact the Department of Communications.

Richard and Darleen Stillman Annual Speaking Competition

This scholarship was established by Professor Emeritus Richard J. Stillman in 1994 in loving memory of his wife. The competition is open to any UNO undergraduate student enrolled in 12 or more semester hours who has a grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better. Contestants must speak for a minimum of 10 minutes but not longer than 12 minutes. Only visual aids and notes are allowed. There are four prizes awarded annually for the Stillman Speaking Competition: 1st prize–$1,000; 2nd prize–$500; 3rd prize–$250; and 4th prize–$100.

Division of International Education Ambassador Awards

Awards can be applied towards all Summer programs and Academic Year Abroad in Innsbruck, Austria. Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible. Awards range in amount from $250 - $1,500. The John E. Altzan Ambassador Award is exclusively for a student applying to the UNO-Innsbruck International Summer School and in the amount of $3,000. A limited number of financial awards for study abroad, "Ambassador Awards," will be made available to UNO students who exhibit high academic achievement, whose academic plans would benefit most from this experience, and who demonstrate financial need.” For details, view

Student Government Tuition Awards

These scholarships are available to select Student Government officials.

The Student Government President must have completed 45 semester hours of credit and maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA to be eligible.

The Student Government Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary of State must have completed 30 semester hours of credit and maintain a 2.25 cumulative GPA and maintain full-time enrollment status during the Fall and Spring semesters. Part time status during the Summer is permitted.

For details, contact

Arts Scholarships

These scholarships are available in Jazz Studies, Classical Music, Fine Arts, Film, Theatre and Communication Arts and Creative Writing. They require either an audition or the submission of a portfolio or manuscript along with a scholarship application. Contact the academic departments for details.

Fee Exemptions

Students must meet and be fully admitted into the University and meet the specific as well as general guidelines of each specific exemption. Student must remain in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University to retain the benefit of these exemptions. 

Academic Common Market (ACM)

The purpose of the ACM program is to share specific academic degree programs located in southern public colleges and universities. This is accomplished through an exchange of students across borders at in-state tuition rates. The exemption covers the non-resident fee only and is available to students certified by letter as eligible by ACM to assist in obtaining one degree. The student must meet normal admissions requirements, including GPA, and must enroll full-time to receive the exemption. To retain the award, the student must maintain a cumulative 2.0 or higher GPA and earn a minimum of 24 credit hours per academic year. To initiate the process, the student should contact their state ACM program. To find out about qualification requirements, go here: Qualified students will submit the certification document to the Office of the Registrar.


CODOFIL (Council for the Development of French in Louisiana) exemptions for tuition and nonresident fees are available to those students who are certified as eligible by the Director of the CODOFIL program in accordance with the UL System guidelines. 

Children of Deceased/Disabled Police and Firefighters

These exemptions are granted to students whose father or mother was killed or seriously injured in the line of duty. The exemption covers full tuition, room and board, and an allowance for books and supplies.  Students must meet normal admissions requirements. Student should contact the Office of Financial Aid for UNO specific guidelines.

Children of Deceased/Disabled War Veterans

These exemptions for full tuition are available to children, aged 16-25, of veterans that were killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty. Students must meet normal admissions requirements. Student should contact the Office of Financial Aid for UNO specific guidelines.

Community Police and Firefighters Fee Exemption

This exemption is offered to sworn, commissioned peace officers who are policemen and state certified firefighters in Orleans Parish and its seven neighboring parishes of Jefferson, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. James, St. John, and St. Tammany. The exemption covers tuition and some fees less $111.00 for a 3-credit hour course, up to 6 credit hours. To be eligible, students must present Approved Law Enforcement and Firefighter form and a copy of badge(commission) and proper identification.  UNO reserves the right to request additional documents or proof of employment. Students should submit all documents and ID’s 5-7 business prior to Fee Payment Deadline.

Lifelong Learner Scholarship

This program is designed for students aged 65 and older to attend courses at UNO tuition-free. To be eligible for this program, students must complete the application and enrollment process by the posted deadlines published on the Important Dates Calendar maintained on the University Registrar's website as well as be a Louisiana resident. The tuition is waived automatically through the Office of the Bursar. The cost of textbooks and standard university fees are not included in the tuition exemption.

Employee and Dependent Tuition Exemption

Full-time (100%) non-academic and other academic (exclud­ing faculty) UNO employees, who have been employed at least one year in a full-time, permanent position and with approval from their department head or super­visor, may register for job related undergraduate or graduate courses at the UNO campus for up to 3 credit hours and receive full tuition exemption. Employees will be responsible for paying all other fees associated with enrollment such as class fees, lab fees, and all mandatory fees. The UNO "Tuition Reduction Application" form and procedure is available via SharePoint at

Spouses and dependents are also eligible to receive educational privileges. For spe­cific details, contact the Human Resource Department.

Student must complete coursework with a grade of "C" or better ("B" or bet­ter for graduate students), and the course must be job-related. Remedial and audit courses are not allowed. If the employee leaves the University of New Orleans at his/her own discretion, the exemption will be removed and the employee will be responsible for tuition payment. To apply, the employee should submit the Employee Exemption form at least 7-10 business days in advance of Fee Payment Deadline to the HR Department.

ESPOL/Visiting Scientists

The University of New Orleans and ESPOL have jointly signed an agreement of cooperation that addresses the establishment of a program through which ESPOL students can enroll at UNO and receive a bachelor's degree in Economics from the College of Business Administration, and or/a bachelor's degree in Engineering from the College of Engineering.   The award covers the nonresident fee. The student must maintain full-time status and maintain satisfactory progress. There may be additional requirements.

Innsbruck Friendship Treaty

This is a program administered by Center Austria between the University of New Orleans and the University of Innsbruck for students from the University of Innsbruck. The student must maintain full-time status and maintain satisfactory academic progress. The award covers nonresident fee.

Louisiana National Guard State Tuition Exemption (STEP)

STEP exemptions for full tuition are available to members in good standing in the National Guard. The student must be declared eligible by the National Guard, meet admissions requirements, be degree seeking and must be in good academic standing (not on scholastic probation) with the University. Students must submit their National Guard ID, enroll in classes, and submit all transfer coursework before the exemption can be posted to their account. To retain the award, the student must meet SAP and have a cumulative 2.0 GPA or above at all times. To ensure the award is posted prior to Fee Payment Deadline, students should enroll in class and submit their National Guard ID at least 10 business days prior to the start of classes.

Military personnel and their dependents

Military personnel and their dependents are exempted from the nonresident fee. The exemption is available to students who are currently stationed or who have been permanently stationed in Louisiana, and their dependents. It also extends to dependents of military personnel who have been assigned to duty elsewhere immediately following assignment in Louisiana provided the dependent continues to reside in Louisiana. For more information on fee exemptions, contact the Office of Admissions.

University Hardship Waiver

Students may apply for a waiver of all or part of tuition and fee increases above the previous fiscal year’s tuition and fee amount. Hardship waiver considerations are available Fall and Spring semesters only.  Students with demonstrated financial hardship as a result of the increase(s) may qualify for a hardship waiver. You must meet ALL of the specific criteria for consideration.  For details, contact the Office of Financial Aid at

State Scholarships

Louisiana Tuition Opportunity Program for Students (TOPS)

TOPS provides financial assistance to students who enroll in a state college or university. Students applying for a TOPS award must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before July 1, the state deadline, for consideration. All TOPS recipients must be Louisiana residents, have completed the 17 1/2 unit core curriculum, as specified by the state, have graduated from a public/approved non-public high school, must have enrolled full-time for college no later than 1 year after graduation, not have a criminal conviction, and meet the requirements stated under each of the awards described below:

TOPS Opportunity Award
Requirements: Students must have earned a high school grade point average of 2.50 calculated on 17.5 course units and obtained at least the prior state average (currently 20) on the ACT.

TOPS Performance Award
Requirements: Students must have earned a high school grade point average of 3.00 calculated on 17.5 core units and obtained at least a 23 ACT score.

TOPS Honors Award
Requirements: Students must have earned a high school grade point average of 3.00 calculated on 17.5 core units and obtained at least a 27 ACT score.

*For BESE-Approved Home –Study Student Eligibility, contact LOSFA (TOPS) at 1-800-259-5626.

This information is subject to change. For more information on state scholarships, contact the Louisiana Office of Student Financial Assistance (LOSFA) at 1-800-259-5626 or view on-line

American Legion Scholarships

These scholarships are available to unmarried sons or daughters of members of Metairie Post 175 and are awarded on the basis of merit. The scholarships are valued at $400 per academic year. Applications may be obtained from Post 175 Scholarship Committee. (This information is subject to change.)

The AMOCO Production Company Scholarship

This scholarship is awarded to an upper level business student who has a minimum GPA of a 3.0 and has shown leadership in student organizations. (This is a small financial award since it depends on the interest earned on an endowed fund of $4,600.)

The Joan Sherman Scholarship

This award is made to the Louisiana resident junior with the highest GPA majoring in business administration. (The amount awarded is typically around $500-$750.) 

Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (AFROTC)

AFROTC offers 2-, 21⁄2-, 3-, and 31⁄2-year scholarships to qualified applicants who are enrolled in the New Orleans area AFROTC program and who are selected in national competition by AFROTC Headquarters. These scholarships provide tuition and fees, textbook costs, and a $100 a month stipend to each student for his/her use. Information on how to apply can be obtained from the Air Force ROTC, Tulane University Square, 200 Broadway Street, Suite 130, New Orleans, LA  70118.  Phone (504) 865-5394.

Army Reserve Officers Training Corps (AROTC)

Army ROTC offers two, three- and four year scholarships to qualified applicants who are enrolled in New Orleans area colleges and universities and selected in national competition by HQ, US Army Cadet Command, at Fort Monroe, VA. This scholarship provides Full tuition coverage, as well as Book stipend of $1200 per year ($600 per semester), spending stipend: Freshman - $300, Sophomore - $350, Junior - $450, and Senior - $500 respectively per month. Information on applying may be obtained from Tulane University, Army ROTC, 6823 St Charles Avenue, New Orleans, LA  70118, 504- 865-5594 or 1-800-777-ARMY and by email at

Navy Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC)

Navy ROTC offers two-, three-, and four-year scholarships. Four-year scholarship students are selected annually on a nationwide competitive basis through the Chief of Naval Education and Training (CNET). Three-year scholarship candidates are selected by CNET from non-scholarship (college program) students participating in the NROTC unit. Two-year scholarships are selected from local undergraduate applicants. All scholarships include full tuition, university fees, uniforms, textbooks, and a $200 per month subsistence stipend. Scholarship students participate in paid summer training periods and receive commissions in the Navy or Marine Corps Reserve as ensigns or second lieutenants upon graduation. They have a minimum four-year active duty obligation after commissioning, followed by four years in the inactive reserves. For information on applying to become a scholarship or college program midshipman, contact the NROTC Unit, Tulane University, 6823 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans, Louisiana 70118-5698, (504)865-5104. (This information is subject to change.)

Rehabilitation Services

The Division of Rehabilitation is a joint Federal-State Agency that provides assistance to students who are physically or mentally disabled in order to help them become gainfully employed. Assistance in college training can be provided as part of the student’s rehabilitation. Any student who feels they have an employment handicap should call the Division of Rehabilitation Services, 838-5180, or write to the Division of Rehabilitation Services, 6620 Riverside Drive, Metairie, LA 70003.

Disclaimer:  The University of New Orleans reserves the right to modify the policy that governs these scholarships and fee exemptions. The number of scholarships and award amounts are based upon fund availability.