On-Campus Housing Requirement

Need to be exempt from
on-campus housing requirement?

A University of Louisiana System policy requires that all unmarried, full-time undergraduate students regardless of age or emancipation status, live in Pontchartrain Halls or Privateer Place Apartments as long as space is available.

Housing Exemptions 

This policy further states that in the event a college or university under the Board of Trustees cannot provide adequate housing for students in this category, they may be exempt according to the following priorities:

  • Those students residing with parents, grandparents, or married brothers/sisters.
  • Those students 21 years of age on or before the first day of classes. 
  • Determined through marriage or parenthood (provide a copy of the marriage license or birth certificate.)
  • An extreme financial situation that would prevent the student from attending UNO due to on-campus living requirements. FAFSA must be filed with UNO if you select this reason. (Attach a letter
    explaining circumstances).
  • Medical condition that requires special living accommodations that residential life cannot reasonably provide. (Attach doctor's note.)
  • Extenuating circumstances. (Attach detailed letter explaining circumstances.)
  • Educational requirements, to include internships, co-ops, and student teaching. (Requires Department
    head signature.)

Because the University can only house a relatively small percent of its enrollment, the following categories have automatically been exempt in the listing if housing is at capacity: Seniors, Juniors and Sophomores.

If a student receives a University Housing Scholarship, it may be used at any of our residence halls, including Privateer Place, Pontchartrain Halls, or Lafitte Village. (To use scholarship money in Lafitte Village, the potential resident must still meet the requirements to live in our Graduate and Family Housing.)