Graduate Assistantships

We provide information concerning graduate assistantship policies and regulations. Students enrolled in a graduate degree program may be hired on a competitive basis to work either in academic departments or administrative units as Teaching, Research or Service assistants. Graduate assistants in good academic standing and meeting full-time enrollment requirements receive a stipend and a waiver of the non-resident fee. Effective Fall 2014, in-state tuition will no longer be automatically waived.

There is no central listing of openings . Students interested in obtaining an assistantship are encouraged to contact their degree program.

Categories of Assistantships

Teaching Assistant 1 (TA1) works in support of instructional programs with such duties as preparing examinations, grading papers, assisting in preparation of lectures, maintaining class records, and tutoring students outside of formal class and laboratory classes.

Teaching Assistant 2 (TA2) duties may include those listed under TA1 in addition to making presentations in laboratories or classrooms, conducting lectures, and leading discussion groups. The assistant is not the instructor of record nor primarily responsible for assigning grades.

Teaching Assistant 3 (TA3) instructor of record (primary responsibility for teaching courses and/or assigning grades) in addition to all of the duties of a TA2. The assistant must have a master's degree or at least 18 graduate hours in the specified teaching field. International graduate assistants who have primary responsibility for teaching a course (TA3) are required to have a TOEFL score of 100 (internet-based score) or 250 (computer-based) or 600 (paper-based).

Research Assistant (RA) duties consist of various research assignments.

Service Assistant (SA) typically performs office duties which may include, but are not limited to, conducting analysis, assisting in library services, and other academic or professional assignments.

Graduate Assistantship Notes

International students The University of New Orleans currently hosts approximately 740 international students, faculty, and staff from over 90 countries. The Office of International Students and Scholars provides comprehensive immigration advising, programming, and support services to all international students and faculty and their dependents. International students may contact the Office of International Students and Scholars at  for further information. International students must have the Tax Compliance Officer, King Chan, approve their tax forms. His number is 504-280-3207 and his e-mail is