1. What degree programs do you offer?
  2. How do I apply to a graduate program?
  3. How long will it take for my application to be processed?
  4. Do I need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination)?
  5. What do I need to do to be considered for a graduate scholarship?
  6. How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?
  7. How much does it cost to go to UNO?
  8. What is a non-degree seeking student?
  9. I'm a returning student. Why can't I register?
  10. How do I find out if a course will be offered?
  11. What is full-time enrollment for a graduate student?


1. What degree programs do you offer?

An alphabetical listing of graduate degree programs is available here.


2. How do I apply to a graduate program?

Admission to a graduate degree program involves a two-part application process:

Mail Transcripts To

Office of Admissions
103 Administration Building
University of New Orleans
New Orleans, LA 70148

1. In order to be admitted to the Graduate School students must file the online application to the University of New Orleans (apply online) and submit official transcripts from each institution attended and GRE or GMAT scores (and IELTS or TOEFL scores for International applicants) to the Office of Admissions. Step-by-step instructions for the online application can be downloaded here. There is a $50 application fee for all applicants to the Graduate School.

The Graduate School requires that all students have received a baccalaureate degree and achieved at least a 2.5 GPA in undergraduate work and a 3.0 GPA in graduate work in order to be considered for admission to a graduate degree program.

For International applicants a minimum total band score for the IELTS is 6.5 or composite TOEFL scores of at least 79 on the iBT (internet based) or 550 (paper-based) is required. A comprehensive listing of requirements for International students is available here.

2. Each degree program has its own requirements for admission, including, in many cases, more stringent GPA requirements and minimum test scores and earlier application due dates.

Several programs also require an additional application with supplementary material (e.g. letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, etc.) to be sent directly to the Graduate Coordinator. The graduate coordinator is a full-time faculty member in the degree program who is the liaison between graduate students and the program.
To find out who the designated coordinator is for the degree program of interest, please consult the list of programs on the Graduate School website. 

3. How long will it take for my application to be processed?

Processing of your application can only begin when the following steps have been completed:

1. University Application received

2. Application fee received

3. Official transcripts received from each institution attended (and, for International applicants, IELTS or TOEFL received)

Once all of the above have been received the Office of Admissions processes applications in the order that they receive them.

If applications are submitted at peak times (in the final two months before the beginning of a new semester), a greater volume of applications inevitably results in a slight delay in processing.

Normally, if an application is complete, the Office of Admissions can generate the evaluation and send it on to the graduate coordinator within two weeks.

Not every program will review applicants immediately upon receipt of the evaluation. Sometimes they must wait until the additional application materials (such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, portfolios, etc.) are on file. Sometimes they must wait until a designated time when a committee of faculty can meet and review applications.

It is therefore very important that applicants pay attention to the stated University priority dates and the program's admissions deadlines when starting the admission process.

4. Do I need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Examination)?


The GRE is a university requirement for most degree-seeking graduate students with the following exception – students entering programs offered by the College of Business Administration (the MBA, MS Accounting, MS HCM, MS HTM, Doctoral program in Financial Economics) may be required to take the GMAT (Graduate Management Admissions Test) mba.com

The M.A. program in Romance Languages and the M.M. in Music will review applicants without the GRE.

If your degree program feels that your academic record is strong, they may decide to admit you on condition of receipt of your test score. Some programs, however, will not evaluate a student’s application without the test scores.

Students admitted conditionally must complete the condition of admission within their first semester of enrollment. For example, if you are admitted conditionally to a degree program in Fall 2011 and enroll in classes for Fall 2011, you must have the requisite test scores reported to the University before registration begins for Spring 2012 (November 2011). You will be blocked from registering for a future semester until your scores are reported.

Students may register for the GRE by visiting the website (gre.org). The website also provides information about the test and suggestions for test preparation. Credit card payment for the $160 fee in the U.S. is required at registration
All test takers must indicate that UNO is to be the recipient of the test scores (institution code: 6379), regardless of where they take the test. If you take the test in our Testing Center on campus (280-TEST), your scores are not automatically reported to UNO, nor does the Testing Center receive the scores.
When you leave your test site you may receive unofficial results for two of the three sections of the test. This cannot be used to remove a registration hold. Print copies of score reports are also not considered official.

Your official results will be sent electronically from the Educational Testing Service approximately 2-3 weeks after you have taken the test. Please schedule your test in enough time to allow for the scores to be reported.

Students may learn about and register for the GMAT by visiting the website (http:mba.com). You can also download free test preparation software from the website. Registration for the test costs $250.

GRE and GMAT scores are only considered valid for 5 years.


5. What do I need to do to be considered for a graduate scholarship?

Applicants should initiate the process by contacting the Graduate Coordinator of the program in which they intend to study and arranging for a program recommendation. Your completed application packet must be returned to the graduate coordinator for a ranking. The graduate coordinator will forward your packet to the Coordinator of Graduate Scholarships in the Graduate School. If the Graduate Coordinator is unavailable, please contact the Chair of your department.

Certain requirements must be met before a student may apply for a graduate scholarship:

Students must be newly admitted to, or in the process of being admitted to, the degree program toward which the scholarship would apply. Students are not eligible if they are already taking courses as a degree-seeking student in the program for which they wish to receive a scholarship. The scholarship is rendered void if the student changes degree programs after receiving the award. 

GRE or GMAT scores must be on record and be compliant with departmental requirements.

Official transcripts must be on record.

Undergraduate and/or Graduate GPA must meet the designated requirement.

Students must be screened for eligibility by their department.

View complete listing of the Scholarships awarded by the Graduate School >>

6. How do I apply for a graduate assistantship?

There are three main types of Graduate Assistantships that students may obtain while engaged in graduate study: Teaching Assistantship (TA), Research Assistantship (RA) or Service Assistantship (SA).
Students seeking any of these Assistantships should contact their Graduate Coordinator for openings within the program or for information about other units on campus that may have an opening.

Currently, there is no centralized listing of open Graduate Assistantship positions.

7. How much does it cost to go to UNO?

Visit the admissions' site to view a complete breakdown of the costs to attend UNO >>

8. What is a non-degree seeking student?

The non-degree status means that you can enroll in some graduate-level courses at UNO without being admitted to a degree program. This status is designed for students who just want to take a course for fun, or need a course before enrolling in a degree program at another institution or want to try a course before deciding on a degree program. It is not intended for students who wish to apply to a degree program but have not gotten their materials together in time.

Applicants seeking non-degree status are required to submit an official transcript from the institution that awarded their bachelor’s degree.

International students in F-1 status are not permitted to enroll as non-degree status.

Non-degree students are not eligible for federal financial aid, university scholarships or assistantships.

Not all graduate courses are open to non-degree students

No more than 12 graduate credit hours earned while non-degree can be applied towards a degree program

If a currently enrolled non-degree seeking student wishes to apply to a degree program, they must submit a Request for Program/Plan change form to the College office of the program that they wish to enter. Official transcripts from each institution attended must be submitted to the Office of Admissions prior to submitting the form.Also, if the program requires supplemental application material, (a program application, statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, etc.) the student must forward those items to the Graduate Coordinator of the program prior to submitting the form.

9. I'm a returning student. Why can't I register?

Graduate students are kept active in the University record system for one year after enrollment. For example, if you enroll in and complete courses in Fall 2008, you will be active in the system for Fall 2009.
Beyond one year, students must update their status by completing the online application to the University (apply online).

Doctoral students returning after one year and Master’s students returning after five years should also contact the graduate coordinator of their program to find out if a new program application will be required.

10. How do I find out if a course will be offered?

The schedule of classes (Course Bulletin) is posted here. Course Bulletins are normally posted 2-3 weeks prior to the next registration period. For example, registration for Spring 2009 will begin November 3. The Spring schedule of classes will be posted in mid-October.

If you need to see a description of a class, you should consult the University Catalog. Click here to review the University Catalog listing of courses per department .

11. What is full-time enrollment for a graduate student?

Enrollment in 9 hrs. in Fall and Spring and 6 hrs. in Summer.