Information for Parents

The Role of Counseling Services

Counseling Services supports the overall mission of the University of New Orleans by aiding students in their personal growth and development and by enhancing their mental and emotional well-being. Counseling Services staff work to help students resolve problems that interfere with personal, social and academic functioning while emphasizing prevention, development, and adjustment.

Eligibility and Services

Counseling Services offers short-term personal (mental health) counseling and career testing and counseling to currently-enrolled UNO students. All students seeking services at Counseling Services are scheduled for problem assessment so a counselor can determine the best course of action to address the student’s concerns. Referrals are provided when a student’s treatment needs are beyond the scope of services offered by Counseling Services.

Short-term personal (mental health) counseling | Career testing and counseling


All services provided by Counseling Services are completely confidential to the limits provided by law and no information can be released, within or outside of the University, without a client’s written consent. This means that Counseling Services staff cannot reveal the identity of students who seek our services, will not confirm or deny a student's participation in counseling, and will not provide any details about what has been discussed in counseling without the student's written consent.

Appointments and Initial Assessment

Apart from crisis situations (e.g., suicidal concerns, serious impairments in functioning), Counseling Services sees students by appointment. If your son or daughter is not in crisis but you believe he/she is in need of services, encourage him/her to contact Counseling Services (504-280-6683; 226 University Center) to schedule an intake/assessment appointment. Please note that the student must schedule the appointment him/herself. After assessment is completed, the student’s counselor will make treatment recommendations. If the counselor determines that the student’s concerns can be adequately addressed in short-term treatment, services will be offered through Counseling Services. If the counselor determines that the student’s treatment needs are beyond the scope of services offered by Counseling Services, the counselor will provide referrals to outside agencies. Our primary goal at Counseling Services is to make certain students receive the most appropriate help available. Sometimes, this necessitates a referral to other agencies and resources.

Crisis Situations

If you believe your son or daughter is experiencing a mental health crisis (e.g., suicidal concerns, serious impairments in functioning), Counseling Services counselors are available for crisis assessments during Counseling Services regular office hours (M-F; 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.). For crisis situations occurring off-campus, outside of regular office hours, and/or during university holidays and closures, please call 911. Additional after hours mental health emergency resources include all hospital emergency rooms and the 24 hour ViaLink crisis counseling line which can be reached by dialing 800-749-2673.

What to Do if a Student is Reluctant to Seek Help

Remember, that the decision to seek counseling is a personal choice. Nevertheless, you can assist a student who is ambivalent about seeking counseling in a number of ways including:

  • Normalize the process of pursuing counseling.
  • Assure the student that counseling services are appropriate for anyone needing assistance in coping with and resolving emotional and/or interpersonal concerns.
  • Let the student know that no problem is too big or too small for counseling.
  • Inform the student that he/she can make an appointment to speak to a counselor without making a commitment to ongoing counseling.
  • Remind the student that any information shared during counseling sessions is kept confidential within the limits of the law and will not be disclosed to anyone without his/her written permission.
  • Acknowledge, validate, and discuss the student's real fears and concerns about seeking help. Some students may feel that counseling is an admission of weakness or failure. Tell students that it takes considerable courage and integrity to face oneself, acknowledge one's troubles or difficulties, and admit the desire or need for assistance.
  • Suggest that the student visit the Counseling Services website as a way to become familiar with the services offered.

Guidelines for Helpful Interactions

Discussing concerns you may have with your son or daughter can be unnerving and even uncomfortable at times, for everyone involved. Following are some guidelines that may assist you in that interaction:

  • Talk to her/him in private.
  • Explain what has aroused your concerns.
  • Express your concern for her/him in a direct, straightforward manner.
  • Listen carefully.
  • Show understanding and empathy for what he/she is experiencing.
  • Avoid criticizing and/or sounding judgmental.
  • Consider Counseling Services as a resource and discuss a possible referral.
  • Remember that the student has the right to accept, think over, or refuse your recommendations.
  • If your son or daughter resists help and you are still concerned, it may be helpful to consult with a member of the Counseling Services staff.
  • Remind that student that communication with counselors in Counseling Services is confidential as defined by state and federal law.