Masters in Romance Languages
Frequently Asked Questions

Should I apply?

Are you an accredited program?

Our university is fully accredited by SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools).

What are the minimum requirements for admission to the program?

A minimum cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 3.0 plus 15 undergraduate credit hours in French or Spanish at the 3000-level or above. The French or Spanish coursework must also carry a minimum GPA of 3.0.

How do I apply to the program? Is there an application fee?

Please go to the following link, create an account with a username and password, and fill out the application. The application fee is $40 (US).
When are the upcoming deadlines?

For Summer term, please apply by April 1. For Fall semester, please apply by June 15. For Spring semester, please apply by October 15. 

Deadlines and other pertinent information may also be found at the following link:
Do I need to take the GRE, or submit letters of recommendation, a resumé, or a Statement of Purpose?

We do not require letters of recommendation, a resume, or the GRE for either option of the M.A. in Romance Languages – French or Spanish. But we do require a one to two-page double-spaced Statement of Purpose in the target language (French or Spanish, depending on your option). Please upload the Statement of Purpose directly into the application form. 

What documents do I have to send besides the application form?

A copy of official transcripts. Please send them to the following address:

Mailing address for U.S. Transcripts:

Mailing address for non-U.S. Transcripts:  International Center, Room 110, 2000 Lakeshore Dr, New Orleans, LA  70148

Some U.S. institutions do not send transcripts electronically.  If that is the case, they should be mailed to:

University of New Orleans
Privateer Enrollment Center
105 Earl K. Long Library
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, LA 70148

If you are an international student and your education was completed outside of the U.S. or another recognized English-speaking country (e.g. Australia, Belize, Canada, Jamaica, U.K.), you will need to provide proof of English proficiency. The following are measures of English proficiency currently accepted by the Graduate School:

TOEFL:  Internet-based test score of 79 total or Computer-based test score of 550:

IELTS:  overall band score of 6.5:

PTE:   Academic score of 58:

Satisfactory completion of the Intensive English Language Program at UNO:

If required documents are not received by the application deadline, please update you application for a future term by sending an email to Amanda Athey:

How many courses and hours are required for the M.A.?

- 11 courses or 33 hours for students of the non-thesis option.

- 10 courses or 30 hours for students of the thesis option.

At the end of your coursework, at least six (6) of your courses must be at the 6000-level.

Do you allow electives?

Yes. 2 courses (6 hours) may be taken in another department provided they are at the 5000 or 6000 level

Are there a set number of classes I must take every semester?

- Full-time enrollment (9 credit hours or 3 courses) is required for Graduate Assistantships and Scholarships.
- If you receive financial aid in the form of federal loans, you must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours (6 hours or 2 courses).
- If you do not receive financial aid, you are free to take as many or as few classes as you wish. Most students take a maximum of three classes per semester and one class in the summer.
- If you have completed part of the program, but have not taken classes for a period of a year or more, you will have to re-apply for admission.

Do you transfer courses from another institution?

Yes. We can transfer up to three courses (9 hours) provided 1) they are at the graduate level and 2) we have equivalent courses in the program.

Do I need to be fluent in the target language?

Pretty much. Most of the graduate classes with the prefix FREN or SPAN are taught entirely in the target language. ROML classes, because they are cross-listed, are usually taught in English.

Can I mix on-line and on-site classes?

Absolutely. Your coursework may be entirely on-line, entirely on-site or a combination of both.

How are the on-line courses taught?

Through a system called Moodle. It is similar to Blackboard and is relatively user-friendly and intuitive. You do not have to be particularly skilled in technology to use it. In addition, we are currently working on a new idea of broadcasting our on-campus courses via the Internet.

How do I take the MA Comprehensive Exam online?

Our MA students who live outside the state of Louisiana may opt to come to campus to take the MA Comprehensive Examination or they may opt to use UNO’s partner in online testing. To assist faculty in verifying student identity in online courses, the University of New Orleans partners with Proctor U, a nationally-recognized leader in online exam proctoring services. Proctor U provides a convenient, affordable, and secure way for students to complete exams from any location using a computer, webcam, and reliable internet connection.

Pricing for Proctor U

  • $8.75 for exams up to 30 minutes
  • $17.50 for exams from 31 up to 60 minutes
  • $25.00 for exams from 61 up to 120 minutes
  • $33.75 for exams from 121 up to 180 minutes
  • $42.50 for exams beyond 180 minutes

For more information on using Proctor U, please click on the following link and/or see page 6 in the M.A. Program in Romance Languages Handbook

Online Testing
How do I take the MA Comprehensive Oral Exam online?

Our MA students who live outside the state of Louisiana may opt to come to campus to take the MA Comprehensive Examination or they may opt to set up a Skype appointment in order to do the oral exam. See page 6 in the M.A. Program in Romance Languages Handbook.

What is the cost of the M.A.?

All the relevant information, including an estimated cost of attendance, can be found on the UNO homepage. Click on “Admissions” then “Tuition and Fees.”

UNO Tuition & Fees

International students (who do not have a Graduate Assistantship and are not CODOFIL students) are assessed non-resident fee, tuition, registration fees, and international fee (and also insurance if they do not have their own). They should contact the Office of International Students and Scholars at the following link for information on scholarships:

IMPORTANT NOTE: As an added bonus of being an on-line student with us, you will pay in-state tuition without having to pay out-of-state tuition (even if you live out-of-state) as long as you take up to six hours of on-line only courses. In other words, there is a non-resident fee exemption for students who are enrolled in six credit hours of online only courses.

Are there Teaching Assistantships available?

Yes. We offer a limited number in French and Spanish on a competitive basis. Our T.A.-ships include a tuition waiver for fall and spring semesters only (not for summer session) and carry a stipend of $2700 per semester. They entail teaching on-campus courses only, not on-line courses. Hence, they are granted to local students only. T.A.s teach one or two courses of first or second-semester (1001 or 1002) French or Spanish. Below are some helpful links. To obtain an application form, request one from the Coordinator of Programs, Dr. Juliana Starr, at You will also need to send her two letters of recommendation.
Graduate Assistantships Forms | Graduate Forms
Is there a special waiver for CODOFIL (Council for the Development of French in Louisiana) teachers who want to become students in our program?

Yes. CODOFIL teachers receive a tuition waiver, but are still responsible for fees. In order to receive your tuition waiver, the bursar’s office will need a copy of your appointment letter. Please scan it and send it to them at:

Here is more on CODOFIL from the Financial Aid section of the University Catalog:

CODOFIL exemptions for tuition and nonresident feesare available to those students who are certified as eligible by the Director of the CODOFIL program inaccordance with the UL System guidelines.

Is there an exemption of tuition and registration and fee waivers for Foreign Associate Teachers of Spanish in Louisiana?

Yes. Foreign Associate Teachers of Spanish receive an exemption of tuition and registration fees for graduate programs authorized by the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education and administered by the Louisiana Department of Education. In order to receive your tuition waiver, the bursar's office will need a copy of your appointment letter from the Louisiana Department of Education. Please scan it and send it to them at:

Is there a special waiver for Lifelong Learner students?

Yes. The same applies to them as to CODOFIL students (see above), but they also get a waiver for their application fee. McNair Scholars ( also obtain a waiver for their application fee.    

Here is more on the Lifelong Learner Program from the University Catalog:

This program is designed for students aged 65 and older to attend courses at UNO tuition-free.  To be eligible for this program, students must complete the application and enrollment process by the posted deadlines published on the Important Dates Calendar maintained on the University Registrar's website. The tuition is waived automatically through the Office of the Bursar.  The cost of textbooks and standard university fees are not included in the tuition exemption.

Is financial aid other than T.A.-ships available?

Yes. Please see “Financial Resources” at the following link and the email address for inquiry about graduate scholarships:

Grad Forms

I've been admitted! Now what?

I’ve been admitted to the program. What do I do next?

The following link gives you a checklist to help you set up an e-mail account, pay fees, and submit the immunization form. Numbers 1, 2, 4, and 5 are obligatory for all graduate students at UNO:  

New Student Checklist

The immunization form is #2. Under #2, select “Submit Immunization Form,” then  “Immunization Waiver,” then “Immunization Waiver Form.” Log in with your UNO username and password. Fill out the form then click “submit.”

How do I choose what courses to take?

On our web page, we post the document  “Advanced Course Offerings” (in October for spring, in March for summer and fall) at the following link. Here, you should read the descriptions of all the graduate courses (5000-level and 6000-level courses) that are offered in your option.

Foreign Languages Course Descriptions
I am trying to register but there is a block on my registration. Why?

It can be one of three reasons:

  • You did not provide proof of immunization or petition for a waiver.
  • You did not provide your official transcripts.
  • You have outstanding debts from a previous semester at UNO.
What does the M.A. comprehensive exam consist of?

You will need to choose a committee of three professors and four areas of specialization. Please refer to page 6 of the “Graduate Student Handbook” on our web page at the following links. You are advised to download and study the Handbook as well as the Reading List pertinent to your option, French or Spanish:

Graduate Handbook | Foreign Languages Graduate Program
How do I meet the language proficiency requirement in the second language?

There are several different ways. See page 3 of the Graduate Student Handbook at the link below. If you choose to fulfill the requirement by taking undergraduate language courses, you will need the Associate Chair for Foreign Languages, Dr. Juliana Starr, to remove the block for you so that you may enroll in an undergraduate course. Please e-mail her at with your student number and the desired course and section number so that she may remove the block.

Graduate Handbook
Is there life after graduation?

As a matter of fact, there is. Our program has graduated many excellent alumni who currently occupy teaching, administrative, and leadership positions in institutions of learning such as Dillard, Loyola, Tulane, Xavier, Delgado Community College, The International School of Louisiana, and many other high schools and middle schools. In addition, many of our alumni have pursued or are currently pursuing their PhD at prestigious universities such as UT Austin, UT Knoxville, Emory, UC Davis, NYU, Brown, University of Iowa, Indiana University, UG Athens, Tulane, LSU, and ULL. Most of them were offered assistantships and/or scholarships.