It’s Veterans Week at the University of New Orleans, a time to celebrate and honor those in the University community who have given their time in service to the Unites States military.
UNO, which has been recognized as a veteran-friendly campus, enrolls roughly 300 veterans. In the lead-up to Veterans Day, Nov. 11, the University will be hosting a number of events intended to raise awareness for veterans’ causes while showing appreciation for those on campus who bring to their academic experiences valuable insights and skills they gained during their time in the armed forces.
- The University hosts a daily Raffle for its UNO veteran students, with awards that include gift cards for the UNO Bookstore, East of Italy, AMC Movies and Barnes & Noble Nook. Entry is automatic for all fall enrolled VA students.
- All week, VA students stopping by the Privateer Enrollment Center will be given veterans appreciation T-shirts.
- Mon., Nov. 7, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity hosts a Nerf Battle in the quad. The event costs $5.
- Wed., Nov. 9: Veterans are invited to share breakfast in Student Success Center located next to the Privateer Enrollment Center at the Earl K. Long Library from 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., with coffee and breakfast treats available before and between classes. UNO President John Nicklow will be making an announcement at 9 a.m. regarding a new scholarship for veterans.
- Fri., Nov. 11: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: The University hosts a cake social in the Privateer Pride room located by the PEC; 11 a.m., the Veterans Collegiate Association will be holding an awards ceremony in the Sen. Ted Hickey Ballroom on the second floor of the University Center to recognize members of the UNO community; and at 7 p.m., New Orleans Privateers Men’s Basketball team invites all veterans to enjo y free admission to the game, during which veterans will be recognized during the National Anthem and the game against LaGrange College.
For more information about veterans services at UNO, contact the Veterans Affairs Office.