• College Credit by Exam

    UNO accepts college credit from AP, IB, CLEP, and DSST exams, as well as community colleges and universities in high school. Course credit at UNO varies by performance on the exam or in the community college/university course offering.

    Note: No more than 30 semester hours of any combination of CLEP, bypass, advanced standing, non-traditional or military credit toward your degree. Credit does not reduce UNO's minimum residence requirement.

  • Credit for Courses Bypassed

    If you have bypassed a sequential course, you must validate that placement by passing the next course in the sequence with a "C" or better on your first attempt. Detailed information about this policy may be obtained from the dean's office of your college.

    New Freshmen: Based on your scores on the ACT or department tests, you may be placed in sequential courses. If you place above the normal beginning level, you may petition for credit in the courses bypassed. No credit is allowed for remedial courses bypassed.

    Other UNO Students: Students who do exceptionally well in a sequential course at a given level may be permitted by the department to enroll in a course in that sequence other than the next one. If you receive advanced placement, you may petition for credit in the courses bypassed. No credit is allowed for remedial courses bypassed.

  • Advanced Placement (AP) - College Entrance Examination Board

    Credit for advanced placement may be awarded to new students who have completed advanced placement courses in secondary school and who have taken the appropriate CEEB advanced placement examination. Credits earned through this program are subject to the conversion chart indicating acceptable exams, minimum passing scores, and UNO equivalent courses.

  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) - Subject

    The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a national, standardized testing program. If you took honors courses in high school, studied independently through non-credit courses, or gained experience through on-the-job training, you may be able to earn equivalent credit for some basic UNO requirements by passing one or more CLEP tests. For more information about CLEP, visit the website.

    Note: UNO accepts only the Subject CLEP exams.

  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

    UNO awards college credit for most International Baccalaureate subjects passed at the Higher Level with a grade of "4" or better. To have your official IB transcript showing your results in each subject sent to the UNO Admissions Office go to the IB website.

  • DSST Examination Program

    DSST is credit by examination tests designed to allow students to demonstrate proficiency in an area of study normally taught outside of a formal educational setting. UNO considers 28 DSST exams out of the 50 exams for credit. DSST is available through Testing Services.

  • Advanced Standing Examinations

    If you have superior ability and preparation or have already gained fundamental knowledge of subjects at the University, you may earn degree credit by taking Advanced Standing Examinations in specific courses. Request for permission to take these exams at your college dean's office. Permission is subject to the conditions and regulations listed in the general catalog under "Advanced Standing Examinations."

    During the spring, prospective freshmen who meet certain minimum ACT score qualifications may take Advanced Standing Examinations in one or more subjects on campus at no additional fee. Credits earned will be indicated on the student's record after enrolling at UNO.

  • Excelsior College Examinations

    Excelsior College Examinations, formerly known as ACT Prep: Regents College Exams, are college-level examinations developed by college facilities to award college credit. The Excelsior College Exams are administered at Prometric Testing Center in the US and Canada.

  • Military Service Schools

    The University does evaluate formal service school training according to the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services published by the American Council on Education.

    Credit awarded by the Office of Admissions for non-collegiate and military courses may or may not be applicable toward your UNO degree. Final determination of applicable credit will be made by the dean of your college.

  • Credit for Non-Collegiate Courses

    Credits may be awarded for formal educational programs and courses sponsored by hundreds of non-collegiate organizations, such as business, industry, labor unions, professional and voluntary associations, and government agencies. American Exss, IBM, McDonald's, Professional Secretaries International, Sheraton Corporation, U.S. Postal Service, and Xerox are just a few of the organizations that offer instructional programs that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education (ACE) and found to be comparable to college level instruction. If you have completed an educational program through a non-collegiate organization, you should contact the UNO Admissions Office for more information to have your courses evaluated.