Non-degree Student

Visiting and non-degree students enroll in classes at UNO, but do not complete a degree on our campus. Students are either enrolled at another college or university and take courses at UNO to transfer back to their home institution (summer guests students). Bachelor degree holders take courses either for personal enrichment or as prerequisites for a graduate degree.

Important Information

Non-degree seeking students do not qualify for financial aid and must renew their status each semester.  In order to become a degree-seeking student, a Change of Status form must be completed.
Download Change of Status form >>

Summer Guest/Visit Students

Planning to be in New Orleans for the summer? If your answer is yes, enroll for summer classes at UNO. You must be enrolled at an accredited college or university during the spring semester and be eligible to return in the fall. Apply to UNO for the summer semester as a non-degree guest student. Please submit a completed UNO admission application, the applications fee, and an official transcript from the institution at which you are currently enrolled.

Special Students

If you are an undergraduate and wish to take college classes as a non-degree student, you may apply as a s Special Student. Consult the Office of Admissions for details about Special Students status.

Graduate Students

If you already hold a bachelor's degree, you may continue your studies at UNO as a graduate student. You have two options for enrolling in the Graduate School.

Nondegree Graduate Student If you do not wish to pursue an advanced degree, you may apply as a non-degree graduate student. If you are a pre-med or pre-MBA student or are working towards teacher certification, you'll need to submit an official transcript certifying your bachelor's degree.

Degree-Seeking Graduate Student If you want to pursue a master's or doctoral degree or take 6000 level business or political science classes, you must apply as a degree-seeking graduate student. Contact the Graduate School at (504) 280-6237  for more information.